My modded Aurora R3

Sir_Gawain

Just stumbled upon this site and wanted to share the work I recently did on my R3. Let me know what you think!

Started of by swapping out the motherboard with an Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3

By sir_gawain at 2012-03-04

Next, was modding the side panel and making a side window.

Last was to install proper power to handle overclocking my 2600k and 7970's. Also, to re arrange wires so my lower 7970 wasnt suffocated by the pile of wires directly under the GPU fan. I had to remove the left hand side hard drive bay, but that is of no loss to me. The rewire (although not fully complete, still going to tidy up) reduced the GPU temps drastically! When I set my Pcie fan to 50%, my temps on Ultra settings in BF3 havnt gone over 73C (overclocked!). Very pleased as one card would normally hit 81-82C in BF3 before.

Im very happy with the PSU as well. Im not sure if its in my head or not, but the system feels more responsive....almost like it was being held back lol. I played with some OC's yesterday to see how my system would hold up. I was able to do light GPU clocking and ran my CPU @ 4.5ghtz. No crashes, nice and stable! Im really going to fine tune my GPUs now as the 7970 is a monster of an overclocker for the most part.

By sir_gawain at 2012-03-07

By sir_gawain at 2012-03-10

Eirreann

That's awesome, mate! Were you having problems with the original mobo? Also, are you still able to use AlienFX even though you swapped out motherboards?

AeonSoul

That's an awesome job you did there, althrough the side window you cut in the case seems kinda "rough" around the borders. Or at least that's what it looks like from the pics.

Sir_Gawain

That's awesome, mate! Were you having problems with the original mobo? Also, are you still able to use AlienFX even though you swapped out motherboards?
Thanks! I was not having issues with the original mobo, just wanted it for maximum overclocking capabilities and to make use of PCIe 3.0 with the 7970's. AlienFX and Command Center were not working until I stumbled upon this, http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&DriverId=R268475, its the only version that provides ACC only, all other versions were looking for the stock mobo, thus making it incompatible.

That's an awesome job you did there, althrough the side window you cut in the case seems kinda "rough" around the borders. Or at least that's what it looks like from the pics.
Yep, had to sand it down, just didnt bother with a pic after that. I put a rubber lining on it too so now it looks nice and professional.

What did you use to cut the metal sheeting and plastic cover?
I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade for both. The plastic cover was the hardest to cut as the plastic was melting and re-bonding itself as I cut lol! It took several passes...had to let it melt, bond, cut, melt, bond, cut,to get it all out haha!

Sir_Gawain

They have nameplates on aurroa's now? o_O AND a gamers republic sticker? I WANT! :D
Maybe Alienware will take some ideas from me :p I had been trying to put my nameplate off of my sold M17X to use for a while!

On a side note, 7970's sold as of today. Im going going back back to SLI as soon as the 680's drop next week :cool:

Eirreann

Maybe Alienware will take some ideas from me :p I had been trying to put my nameplate off of my sold M17X to use for a while!

On a side note, 7970's sold as of today. Im going going back back to SLI as soon as the 680's drop next week :cool:
What do you mean "680s drop next week"???? Are they coming out then??!??!?!?!