my pc just restarted itself ?????

I see You

Jan 2, 2014
WA state
Just sitting here watching netflix with the windows 8.1 netflix app like i have countless other of times and then all of a sudden my pc just restarted itself for no reason, what could have happen any ideas, looked in the event log and all i see is the error for the last shutdown was unexpected but nothing else, this is the first time this pc has ever done this int he year or more i have owned it. Do you think i should call a Tech support and have someone look at it my warranty expires the 5th month.

bbond007

Jul 19, 2013
Miami
Just sitting here watching netflix with the windows 8.1 netflix app like i have countless other of times and then all of a sudden my pc just restarted itself for no reason, what could have happen any ideas, looked in the event log and all i see is the error for the last shutdown was unexpected but nothing else, this is the first time this pc has ever done this int he year or more i have owned it. Do you think i should call a Tech support and have someone look at it my warranty expires the 5th month.

Do you have automatic updates on? sometimes windows deems it necessary to restart Its supposed to warn you but if Netflix was exclusive full screen it could have been missed.

I see You

Jan 2, 2014
WA state
Do you have automatic updates on? sometimes windows deems it necessary to restart Its supposed to warn you but if Netflix was exclusive full screen it could have been missed.

nope no updates i looked but then i went to play crysis 3 and all of sudden the whole dam screen started to freak out the fans went crazy loud it didn't reboot though just freaked out, i had HWmonitor on and all the temps were not even really high. what the heck could be wrong failing mainboard or power supply?, driver issue?

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

OK called dell tech support he direct connected with my computer looked at what video card i had said that would not be a issue, he then loaded HW monitor and d-loaded prim 95 ran it and watched all the temps said they were all normal, and asked me if anything was messing up nothing was so he then reloaded the video driver, and tried again all was still normal, he said if it dose it again to call them he did not know what the issue could be, but he did say my video card was fine that it was not stressing the power supply at all.

Do you think i'm stressing my psu out to the max with this cards one guy on the alienware dell forum says i'm stressing my psu to the max and going to kill my computer using the video card and this psu and that its already dying that is why it rebooted Do you think this is true.

well ran FurMark for its 15 min test and its not my gpu so not sure what it was very wired all is well here know so if it dose it again i will have to look at other issues.

OMG i regret running FurMark i was just reading over at geforce forums and they say it can kill your gpu and mainboard i sure hope i did nto damage anything.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I had some bad RAM a while ago which caused my ALX to crash and restart on its own. Especially when I left it idling for a while.
You could also try running the Dell pre boot diagnostic. Press F12 during startup to get into your boot menu and there should be a diagnostic to select there. It will run through all components in your machine.