test

My Super M15x!

MattyB

Looks like I have just successfully upgraded my i7-720M GTX 260M (150W PSU) M15x to an i7-940XM GTX 570M (240W PSU) beast! It's getting late and i have to start work in 6 hours so I can't do any benchmarks tonight. I'm thinking I need to strap my CM Storm cooler to the bottom of it too before I get too crazy with it! This thing is going to be humming! It needs a new SSD though to be complete.

I got the 570M for $200 and I pulled the 940XM out of an old M17x R2 which I'll flip around and sell back on eBay for close(ish) to what I paid for it. I put the 720M and 260M in the M17x and took a 5870M out of it. Hopefully I'll get a couple of bucks for it at some stage.

MattyB

I'll get to the SSD in the next week or so. I don't have one of my Windows discs with me at work at the moment so unless I get the GF to post me one I will probably just wait till I get home. I am used to all my machines having SSD though so it's frustrating having to wait for it to boot. It does have the extreme processor now so I can give a CPU overclock a try. The problem is that these machines weren't designed to use this much hardware so I'm a little weary with overclocking but I'll try. I'm not sure if the stock heatsinks will be good enough to cope. The 570M would only work with a modded .inf file too. A 680M would be nice since they may draw less power but the price is not worth it at all.

I'll get to the SSD in the next week or so. I don't have one of my Windows discs with me at work at the moment so unless I get the GF to post me one I will probably just wait till I get home. I am used to all my machines having SSD though so it's frustrating having to wait for it to boot. It does have the extreme processor now so I can give a CPU overclock a try. The problem is that these machines weren't designed to use this much hardware so I'm a little weary with overclocking but I'll try. I'm not sure if the stock heatsinks will be good enough to cope. The 570M would only work with a modded .inf file too. A 680M would be nice since they may draw less power but the price is not worth it at all.
You wont be able to use the ssd set up I got, those were ivybridge and sandy bridge things. I dunno if sandybrige is able to cache on a mobile chip but the ivybridge ones do.

The "super" in my M17X comes from the SSD+Graphics+Mobility. does everything, No compromises.
Fast boot, fast application access, extreme overclocked graphics, long battery life, excellent storage space, hi fideility gaming, high performance workstation accessability, and ofc extreme style.
:3

MattyB

My 'super' was referring more to the fact that it's gone beyond what it was designed to use, ie the GPU. I will never get the same data speeds as yours since mine does not run on SATA 3. I don't really use the M15x for anything major anyway. My M18x is a beast for storage though. I can fit an mSata SSD as well as 4 more standard SSD's if I convert the CD drive. Not too interested in doing anything like that just yet though.
Mr Fox's M18x would be one of the most Super AW's around!!

My 'super' was referring more to the fact that it's gone beyond what it was designed to use, ie the GPU. I will never get the same data speeds as yours since mine does not run on SATA 3. I don't really use the M15x for anything major anyway. My M18x is a beast for storage though. I can fit an mSata SSD as well as 4 more standard SSD's if I convert the CD drive. Not too interested in doing anything like that just yet though.
Mr Fox's M18x would be one of the most Super AW's around!!
Yeah, I've taken my m17X to the upper limit. I kinda wish I had gotten a 3740, but this CPU isn't even over TDP and the HD7970M isn't bottlenecking at all.
I'm hoping that the HD9970 will be worth the wait, I want to see just how far up the power scale I can take this laptop.
Good luck on your m15X modifications, its always so much fun.
I suggest picking up some artic MX-2 thermal compound.

MattyB

Do you mean the 8970M? You may be waiting a while for the 9000's! :D I've been using the Arctic Silver 5 which is holding up pretty nice. I really want to try a 680M or 675MX.

You would only really notice the better CPU with benchmarking and heavy video editing I would think so it was a good idea to put the money into something which will yield bigger gains.
To be honest I may just sell the M15x and the M17x and maybe one of my M11x's and put the money into one of the new AW's coming out. Or maybe just my M18x and M17x. decisions decisions.........

Do you mean the 8970M? You may be waiting a while for the 9000's! :D I've been using the Arctic Silver 5 which is holding up pretty nice. I really want to try a 680M or 675MX.

You would only really notice the better CPU with benchmarking and heavy video editing I would think so it was a good idea to put the money into something which will yield bigger gains.
To be honest I may just sell the M15x and the M17x and maybe one of my M11x's and put the money into one of the new AW's coming out. Or maybe just my M18x and M17x. decisions decisions.........

the 8970M is a rebrand of the 7970M its the same card(Thames) with a new name, AMD doesn't have a 8000 series gpu set released yet, the current ones are all rebrands.

MattyB

Ahh I see. One of those old tricks. I don't look into the AMD cards much. Same thing as with my GTX 675's. They are just 580's basically.

I guess they just rebrand to make it look like they're all keeping up with each other. You may not have to wait that long by the looks of it though!

Ahh I see. One of those old tricks. I don't look into the AMD cards much. Same thing as with my GTX 675's. They are just 580's basically.

I guess they just rebrand to make it look like they're all keeping up with each other. You may not have to wait that long by the looks of it though!
I'll have to wait because of the price, that and im going to drop the money to get a maxed out warranty on my M17X R4(5 years), so it will take me some time to get the stuff I want.