test

my x51 problem! :(

carree

hey guys,

bought an alienware x51 earlier this week, everytime i restart my pc it always comes up with the BIOS screen... and also it doesn't install the windows 7 update.

So everytime i shut down it says its installing a windows update, n then when it restarts back up it goes straight to the bios screen which i then have to exit for it to power up properly.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Adam

pds

bios screen...

Is your keyboard "F2" key stuck down? (or other keyboard problem)

Are you required to press any key before the Bios Setup screen? (if so, what is the message displayed)

What happens when you exit Bios Setup? (normal boot I assume)

Do you "save" settings or exit without saving?

hey guys,

bought an alienware x51 earlier this week, everytime i restart my pc it always comes up with the BIOS screen... and also it doesn't install the windows 7 update.

So everytime i shut down it says its installing a windows update, n then when it restarts back up it goes straight to the bios screen which i then have to exit for it to power up properly.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Adam

carree

my keyboard is fiine.

And no it goes straight to the bios screen.

when i exit the bios its a normal boot.

and yeah i save the settings.

AeonSoul

It might be a long shot, but have you checked in your BIOS if the hard drive is set as the primary boot device?

carree

tbh mate i dont know that much about pc's ... so how would i be able to do that?

yikes81

I was thinking the same thing. Damn!! Should have said it before :D

what he said!! lol.

There is a setting in BIOS called boot priority. You just need to go in there and make sure the HDD is in the number 1 slot.

AeonSoul

When the PC starts up you have to press F2 to boot into BIOS, but that's just not your case.
Once in there, go to the section labeled Boot Settings (or Boot Priority or something like that) and you'll see some voices there, namely Primary Hard Driver, Secondary Hard Drive (if you have any), CD-Rom and such. Using the keys "+" (plus) and "-" (minus) arrange those voices and make it so that the Primary Hard Drive is at the top of the list. That means than when your PC starts up it will look for the windows starting files into the Primary Hard Drive first.
Save changes and exit and then restart your PC.
Let us know.

Last edited:

carree

thanks for the replies i did wat aeonsoul said to do... but it was already the primary priority, still keeps doing it :(

MattyB

Damn that sucks. Looks like it's time to get Dell onto the case.

MattyB

Did you buy it from Dell? If you did, you can just go onto their website for whatever country you're from and there will be a page for Customer Support. There should be an email and a phone number. I would call first.

You should have a Service Tag number on the back of your unit which you may need to give them.

If you bought it from ebay or private etc, they should still be able to help you out.

Edit: Have you tried reinstalling your BIOS?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Check and make sure the motherboard battery is seated correctly. I had the same problem with another desktop. I took it out and re-inserted it and it fix the problem.

AeonSoul

I might be wrong, but somehow I doubt he'll be able to pull that off D:

Wolfsi

I have the problem who this starteed with at me new
so i wonder was it fixed?
and if so what was it who helped? anoys me wery when i turn on -_-