test

Name Plate on Alienware 17 models

SR20Alien

Hi just a noob question. Sorry in advance. Just want to know if the costum name plate is still on with the R5 models. I just noticed that they don't have an option now on their site. TIA

jorlanm

Hi just a noob question. Sorry in advance. Just want to know if the costum name plate is still on with the R5 models. I just noticed that they don't have an option now on their site. TIA

Not anymore...They replaced it by putting the...

Deployment Date (Ship Date)
Specs (CPU and GPU that came with it) when you ordered it

and its not even engraved its stamped on the plate...

SR20Alien

Not anymore...They replaced it by putting the...

Deployment Date (Ship Date)
Specs (CPU and GPU that came with it) when you ordered it

and its not even engraved its stamped on the plate...

Thanks for the reply jorlanm. I know its a minor thing. but it does actually add for that customized effect. Anyway just got mine ordered ETA is July 25. Now the waiting game is on. xD

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Is the new model called the R5? I would think that since it's been totally redesigned with a new name, it would be the Alienware 17R1.

SR20Alien

Is the new model called the R5? I would think that since it's been totally redesigned with a new name, it would be the Alienware 17R1.

I Honestly dont know. I just assumed it would be called the R5.

jorlanm

I Honestly dont know. I just assumed it would be called the R5.

the new models are just called Alienware 14, 17 and 18 now ...

Going by that same naming convention I guess thell call the desktop line Alienware Desktop hehehe

DDuB420

I thought the same thing untill I read this...

While the latest iteration of the 18" Alienware laptot is listed as "Alienware 18" or "New Alienware 18" on the Dell website, all order forms and shipping documents and support references list the actual model as "M18XR3". So to be clear: Dell is continuing with their current naming convention for their Alienware laptops.

The same is also true for the new 14" and 17" editions. So in essence:

The 2013 "New Alienware 18" is the M18X-R3 (or "M18XR3 Viking")
The 2013 "New Alienware 17" is the M17X-R5 (or "M17XR5")
The 2013 "New Alienware 14" is the M14X-R3 (or "M14XR3")

I have updated the Alienware Wikipedia Article to reflect this, and hopefully this can help clear up any confusion about the new models - especially when debating their specifications or when helping new owners.

You may verify this by completing a build on Dells site, adding it to your shopping cart, and then clicking the "view details" option of the shopping cart. This will give you the complete breakdown of all Dell products in the order, including the main Base of the machine. The base itself has the new model number, while a few minor components (like stickers, support material, etc.) are reused from previous generations and still carry the older model numbers.

Its just like what apple did with the iPad 4, they called it "The new iPad" When it still was referred model wise as the iPad 4 gen.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Thanks for the info... I wonder if Dell hasn't updated things or this is the way it will be.

Either way, I think the forums should be kept separate because of the total re-design and how different the chassis is. I can add the R (x) to the forum titles/descriptions.

UPDATE:

I just added a Alienware 17 to my cart and view details and this is what it said...

Module DescriptionProduct Code
(hide)
Sku
(hide)
Id
(hide)
Alienware 17Alienware 17RANGER[210-AAPS]

So, I am not so sure now.

UPDATE:

I asked Dell via chat and they say just Alienware 17. Not sure if that is 100% but here is chat log...

http://www.alienowners.com/img/fp/dellchat.gif

DDuB420

Ok that just confirms that I should never believe anything I read on AWA lol
I'm going to revert my titles on my 2013 AW laptop spec article.
Thanks for digging :)

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Ok that just confirms that I should never believe anything I read on AWA lol
I'm going to revert my titles on my 2013 AW laptop spec article.
Thanks for digging :)

LOL, You can never trust the answers you get from Dell chat 100% though either, As I have gotten different answers for the same question in the past.

I would think it's just called the Alienware XX now though.

DDuB420

Wouldn't be surprised if they did just drop the M and X and reset the model revision numbers.

SR20Alien

Lol. Whatever they want to call the new Alienware 17 I'm cool with it. Just hope it gives justice to its name coz I already ordered mine EDD 7/25. This will be my 1st Alienware experience.

DDuB420

Lol. Whatever they want to call the new Alienware 17 I'm cool with it. Just hope it gives justice to its name coz I already ordered mine EDD 7/25. This will be my 1st Alienware experience.

Your going to love your new machine :cool:

Falcon

Yes they just call it new AW 17/14/18. You can get that by watching few videos by AW staff.

simonhuong

i got mine alienware 17 for about 1 week and its really cool and nice:) .. This is my second alienware from m14xr2 to new alienware 17

yikes81

Here is a question. If my existing nameplate goes faulty, will they still custom replace that?

Sarah

I have just received the packing slip for the one I've ordered and sadly as I'm using an iPad I can't set up a screen shot. However, the slip has this item listed near the bottom so it seems as if internally at least they are still using the old product naming convention.

1. 799-AALS. Alienware M17XR5 Order