Need Advice on R5

Saintnowhere

Hello all,

It’s been a while since I’ve been out here and hope all are well. Need some tech help....in August of 2016 I purchased the Aurora R5 with the GTX 1080. Specs are

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Overclocked up to 4.2GHz on all four cores) and 16GB (2X8GB) HyperX(R) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2400MHz.

So, most of you know where this is going next. My GPU is obviously a bit long in the tooth after nearly three years and I thought of jumping to the RTX 2080. Question is, are the remainder of my components too far out of date to support such a card or has anyone made the switch and had no problems?

Just trying to determine if my rig is good enough to switch the card for another couple of more years before considering a new one.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

DrDisimpact

What games are you playing where the 1080 is holding you back? I have the same rig as you, OC at 4.6, 1440p 165hz gsync monitor. I'm running a 1080ti which gives similar performance to the 2080 with similar power requirements. No issues here, so I'd expect you'd be fine with the 2080. Unless you are pushing high fps at 1440p or 4k, your current card should still be quite capable. I'm in the same boat: whenever the time comes that the 1080ti is outdated, I suspect my 6700K won't be able to keep up with whatever gpu's would be current then. Until then, I'll be using my current setup for a long time.

Saintnowhere

Well, I think playing Doom 2016 this past week for the first time on my PC got me to thinking about what games may be coming out in the next couple of years....a new doom of course, CyberPunk 2077, maybe a new Blizzard game, etc. When I played Doom 2016 don’t get me wrong it looks good, but I am playing in 4K and although I would liked to have everything on Ultra or Nightmare, the 1080 couldn’t handle it without a performance drop. Maybe I am being too anal about it, but just curious if my setup could handle a 2080 and maybe future proof me for at least another 3 years.