Need advice please: hasitant about buying from Dell

Killergurt

Hi guys,

I need your help and wanted to run my concerns by you before making such high money investment.

It is time for me to upgrade my 3+ years gaming rig. I bought it from Digital Storm and had ZERO problems with it for more than 3 years which is pretty amazing.

From build quality to stability and performance this system is a winner. I would go back to Digital Storm and buy my new computer there but the only problem is that they do not have any financing options.

This is why I am looking at Alienware. I used to love the brand but now, since it's Dell's, I am terrified of making the purchase. I do have a preferred account with them so could pay the $3k in installments which makes it easier for me.

I am looking at an Aurora desktop, almost top of the line, I am not going to invest in the most expensive CPU, so will keep the general price around 3K including tax.

I can post the specs but I don;t think it matters for the sake of my questions:

1. What is your experience with the build quality and longevity of the Alienware computers by Dell?

2. Customer service: I had previous interactions with Dell's customer support that were nothing short of horrible and frustrating.If these computers break and require support, I am terrified of needing to call them and go through 20 people in India for a week before getting a native English speaker to get on the phone and stop talking to me out of scripts. I would love to hear your take on it and have you had to use support often or not.

3. Since I already suspect that Dell is not going to be able to troubleshoot technical issues OR if in the future I would like to upgrade certain components of my computer (RAM, Graphics Card, CPU), will I be able to do it by myself? or do the Alienware computers use proprietary components, screws, expansion bays etc? The worst thing for me would be to rely on Dell for upgrades.
I have been building my computers for the last 20 years so I know how to do it perfectly. The reason I do want to buy a brand is that I just want to get everything assembled for me and not worry about compatible components and so on.

4. Bottom line: with all the advantages (for me it's only financing) and disadvantages, should I spend my 3 grand with Dell or am I better off with some other brand? please be honest with me.

Thank you everyone and I by no means meant to bash Dell, I just wanted to voice my concerns prior to making this investment.

Looking forward to hearing back from all of you.

Gurt.

MattyB

You will always get people with different experiences but I have to say that mine has been great!

If you do have any technical questions then it's a good bet to come here first and ask since lots of problems are software related and can be easily fixed without going through Dell.
You will be able to interchange any compatible parts without much trouble. Other than the water cooling and motherboard, everything else is third party stuff. Even then, you can change those parts with almost anything you desire. My Aurora has almost no standard AW parts left after me swapping everything out and I knew next to nothing about computers 18 months ago.

It can be difficult dealing with call centers though. I managed to get friendly with a guy who calls himself Darren (no chance that's his real name) and even though he is based in Asia somewhere, he knew his stuff pretty well. I have found emails easier to work with rather than the phone. I have had an issue or two but they have been dealt with very quickly.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Not everyone will have the same story though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

holeyguy66

for 3 grand you could go else where and get more for the buck. but you will not have the looks of an alienware. and you wont have the feeling of owning a piece of pc history. alienware started it all back in late 90s to early 2000. the gameing and custom prebuilt side of pcs anyway.as far as the life of an alienware. hardware is hardware it dont matter if its in anorigin pc to a hp. if you have a bad cpu or lets say a bad gtx 780 its gonna be bad regardless what brand the pc itself is. theres only 1 or 2 makers of mobos. my asus mobo and my alienware facotory mobo both say foxcon. the memory is made by one company that hyundai. even my corsair vengeance has hyundai memory modules on it. the customer service just sucks period. ive been more then happy with my aurora. just like matty ive swapped out the mobo the cpu and gpu. so really the only alienware parts left are the mio board for the command center the case wireing and psu. spend the money you wont regret it. most the issues or user related most the time.

Brummy

Hello, first post and trying to be objective.

I always used to buy and recommend Dell PC's, they were really reliable and lasted for years. I always wanted an Alienware desktop, I can't get on with laptops. Having brought one and had it for just under two years I'll never buy another Dell/Alienware PC again. I've not had one trouble free month, for the money paid I would have expected better. The helpline would be great, if you can make out what is said to you. If you have trouble with Eastern European or Asian accents you are stuffed. Not that they really help!

At present I am having problems where the computer will freeze solid when internet browsing or gaming. It requires a hard boot, the thing is when pressing the button to boot up again nothing happens. You have to wait between 2 minutes to an hour to get the computer up and running again. It means you can't work on it for fear of losing what you have done or you loose all progress in a game. I had a PSU replaced, not under guarantee but after moaning to the people who run Alienwares Facebook page (which was more productive thank their helpline) If anyone has any suggestions re this then I would be really appreciative of the advice.

I am disappointed in the system, it is great when it is running and I've always wanted an Alienware, but I'll never buy from Dell again.

My advice? It's up to you to make the decision, but scan the internet first

compcowboy

i love my alienware laptop, it is amazing. does everything i need it to do, its my third laptop from dell never had any issues with them. but for 3 grand if you have the knowledge you could build an amazing setup with better hardware for the money. but you have to take into consideration that it wont be as fancy. just depends on what you want and whats most important to you!

MattyB

I have issues with my machines quite often but I have learnt enough over the past few years to be able to handle the problems myself. I have found that a lot of issues are caused by settings and software and they can be easily sorted out without the 'expert' advice from Dell.