test

need help/advice with a stripped screw

adgalati

So I went to replace that terrible wireless card with an intel one and ended up stripping one of the mounting screws real bad. I know, I'm an idiot for allowing that to happen but whats done is done and I need advice on what to do. One of them came out no problem but the other one would not budge. I tried a few things like krazy glue on a screwdriver head, using different sized flat heads, putting masking tape over the screwdriver head, everything just made it worse. So I figure my last option is to drill the screw out. First, I already realize that the screw and the original wireless card are ruined, however I won't need the original card and only one screw should mount in the new one just fine as the one now wont budge with the one screw stuck in it. The thing I'm afraid of is the drill getting out of hand and landing on the motherboard or something like that while I'm trying to drill the screw. Is this a reasonable thing to do for a stripped screw in a computer? I was going to go to lowes and get one of those drill bits that are meant to extract screws, but I honestly don't even know if they make ones small enough for this. Is it possible to get this damn screw out without damaging anything at this point? (besides the wireless card and the screw itself of course) Any advice is much appreciated.

I see You

Take it in to a mom and pop computer shop and they should have a special tool to remove it for you and then you can also replace it with a self tapping screw they will have though as well.

adgalati

Well I ended up drilling it out last week. Didn't seem to damage any inner compoments, aside from the wifi card but didn't need that anymore obviously. The one screw holds the new one in just fine and everything seems to be good for now. Thanks for the advice though

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

well funny story, now back on my laptop. shortly after posting the above post, the alienware just shut off by itself I guess because I went back to it later and it was off and I couldn't remember shutting it down. So i went to press the button and nothing. Held the power button and nothing. Checked the power cable and it seems to be connected with the little light on it so it can't be that. I suppose I spoke to soon. Maybe one of the internal components was affected by the metal shavings from drilling the screw? I thought I got it pretty clean inside afterward but maybe not? It's weird because I did all that work only a day or two after I opened this thread which was over a week ago and it had been working fine all this time. any ideas?