Need help buying the M11x R3

MattyB

Staff member
I am pretty sure I am going to get an M11x R3 to go with my M17x. I was wondering if it was really necassary upgrading from the i5-2467 to the i7-2637. Here in Aus its a $300 upgrade. I realize its a better processor but if people have no problems with the i5 then I probably wont bother with the i7 since I have my 17. If it makes a big difference then I will fork out for the extra. Any imput would be appreciated. Its either an M11x or an iPad for travelling. Also, any word on the M11x R4? Would it be worth waiting?

Maelstrom

Before I can answer what are you going to be using the laptop for mainly? Just normal computing or gaming/video editing, and other stuff like that?

MattyB

Staff member
it will really just be for a bit of gaming and movie watching. Nothing too serious.

Maelstrom

Yeah, then just go with the i5. It will still do light gaming very well and will save you money.

MattyB

Staff member
Thanks for that. I really want to beef it up but just dont know if I can justify the extra cost. Im sure it will handle everything I need it for. I have my M17x anyway and I would love to try building a desktop later this year.

Maelstrom

Yeah, that extra $300 will help you upgrade to an Intel i7 Extreme processor later.

MattyB

Staff member
Thats what i have my eye on! Are there any limitations to the speed of the ram I put into the M11x? I will probably order it with the 4GB 1333MHz but I will probably upgrade it myself later to 8GB 1600MHz or higher.

Maelstrom

Intel says that the processor supports up to 1333MHz RAM but I'm not sure if I trust them. They say that my processor only supports up to 1333MHz RAM but I've confirmed that it's running at 1600MHz. Even if your doesn't support 1600MHz and you install it it will still work; it will just be underclocked to 1333MHz. And for what your going to be doing I don't think that you'll need more than 6GB. What you could do is just order one 4GB stick at 1333MHz and just take one of the 2GB sticks out that come stock.

Edit: Also, when you go to buy make sure you compare different configurations of the different selections on this page. And try out all of them until you find a good price. I'm not sure if you have these options in Australia though.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x-r3/fs

Last edited:

MattyB

Staff member
I thought as much. Thanks for your help. I think we pretty much have all the same options as your guys. They just cost a lot more!

MattyB

Staff member
Decided against going for the M11x R3 for now. I will wait for the new Ivy Bridge processors to emerge. I will feed my appetite by getting an iPad.

Maelstrom

The M11xR4 isn't expected for a while; at least no until late Fall at the earliest I'd say.

MattyB

Staff member
So thats around November for you Northern Hemisphere friends? Don't know if I can wait that long. I need instant satisfaction! Ivy Bridge is due pretty soon isn't it? Or has it been delayed again? I would have thought they would update machines pretty soon after the processors are released. Lazy bastards!

Maelstrom

I think that the Ivy Bridge processors are going to be a little while longer. I think I read somewhere that they are going to be announced later this month but even after they are produced its going to be a short time for AW to come up with new revisions.

MattyB

Staff member
Well I guess since I dont really need it I may wait. I want it though. Maybe they will drop the R3 price as they get closer to releasing the R4.

MattyB

Staff member
Although I love my M11x, Clevo is coming out with a more powerfull 11" notebook on 4/22/2012 called the Sager NP6110/Clevo W110er, If you can't wait for an R4 (likely more than 3 month away) check it out:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6110-clevo-w110er-eta-4222012-p-4343.html
Thanks. I checked it out on an Australian site. Specs and price pretty good compared to the M11x. I wasnt able to choose a processor though. They just said it was a 'future Intel processor'. Doesn't quite look as pretty though. Decisions, decisions.......

Any thoughts as to what the R4 may have different to the R3? Obviosly they should have the Ivy Bridges but I have heard these wont give any real extra processing power.

Maelstrom

The main difference between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge is that the Ivy Bridge chips are slightly smaller. I don't see any significant boost in performance though. And there's been some discussion that AW should have a better screen for the R4, but if you want a computer now then I don't see the need to wait.

MattyB

Staff member
I was hoping/thinking the screen would be improved. I dont think I can wait though. I am extremely impatient. It wont be my primary computer so it wont matter too much. I think I will order it in the next few days. I will wait to see what the next deal Dell give out with these systems. They have free upgraded RAM here at the moment but I dont really need that.

Apparently the integrated graphics are going to be significantly improved on the Ivy Bridge but that pretty much means nothing when you have a dedicated card as well.

Maelstrom

Yeah, currently I would just buy the M11x and leave it stock except upgrade the processor if I needed it and then updgrade the RAM later myself. I don't think you would need a large amount of space on a laptop that small (I would use a larger laptop or desktop for storing movies and such) so the stock HDD or a small SSD would be my choice for the drive. Soundblaster isn't really needed at all since it doesn't actually increase sound quality. And, of course, Win7 Home would be the OS of choice.

MattyB

Staff member
That was the plan. I may upgrade the RAM in my M17x at some stage and I can throw my old RAM into the M11x. I will probably put an SSD in it later on if/when the prices come down a bit. Keep and eye on my signature over the next few days. It could get an upgrade! :D