test

Need help overclocking my M18X please!

hey all, i am new to this gaming PC thing and never attempted to overclock a ECU, i just purchased a brand new M18x that was literally just build and i would really like to figure out/learn about and how to overclock the computer properly. right now it says my ecu is 2.70ghz which is good but i thought would be faster, not sure how the turbo boost works. i would really appreciate a detailed explanation on how to and what to avoid all things overclock.

really appreciate the guidence
Thanks!

anyone????? everyones laptop is overclock here and noone can explain in lamens terms what that consists of?

MattyB

Mr Fox is one of the best M18x overclockers around so it would be a good idea to ask him a question or two. I never went too far with mine but a 4.2ghz isn't too far to stretch depending on what CPU you have.
You will most likely have to get an unlocked BIOS from the guys at Tech|inferno. If you don't want to do that you can just go into your bios and see what performance options it has already. There could be a few preset options in there already.
The turbo boost kicks in when the CPU needs the extra power. Day to day activities don't need much power so the CPU takes it easy to save energy. Overclocking will usually make the machine work at peak performance and beyond all the time. In time it can stress your hardware and can shorten the lifespan.
You can also go into your power options in Windows and set it to performance. This will give it a little kick without overclocking.

scracy

You dont need an unlocked bios you can use a intel utilty called XTU. Overclocking is relatively simple you just need to change your multiplier and your Vcore or core voltage. A word of warning though DO NOT APPLY TO MUCH VOLTAGE TO YOUR CPU i cant stress this enough. What model cpu do you have? Given the model of Alienware that you have i would assume its an ivy bridge cpu. I would not apply more than 1.3Vcore and set the multiplier to say 43 that should give you 4.3Ghz clock speed,make sure your temperatures are ok ie:dont exceed 85 degrees c under a heavy load,you can use programs such as hardware monitor or core temp to monitor your cpu temperatures. Depending on what cpu you have will determine how much you can overclock it,XTU will tell you the maximum multiplier that you can use,there are a lot of guides on the net how to overclock "ivy bridge" mostly they deal with desktop cpus but the same principles apply.

You dont need an unlocked bios you can use a intel utilty called XTU. Overclocking is relatively simple you just need to change your multiplier and your Vcore or core voltage. A word of warning though DO NOT APPLY TO MUCH VOLTAGE TO YOUR CPU i cant stress this enough. What model cpu do you have? Given the model of Alienware that you have i would assume its an ivy bridge cpu. I would not apply more than 1.3Vcore and set the multiplier to say 43 that should give you 4.3Ghz clock speed,make sure your temperatures are ok ie:dont exceed 85 degrees c under a heavy load,you can use programs such as hardware monitor or core temp to monitor your cpu temperatures. Depending on what cpu you have will determine how much you can overclock it,XTU will tell you the maximum multiplier that you can use,there are a lot of guides on the net how to overclock "ivy bridge" mostly they deal with desktop cpus but the same principles apply.

Can you help me out with a more specific on what I should do step by step to overclock? Right now I have the m18x it's brand new it was just built a week ago.

scracy

Firstly do you have a current Alienware 18? If so what cpu do you have? Cpu information will be on the bottom plate of your laptop along with manufacturing date.M18x implies you have an earlier model than the current 18?

Last edited:
Firstly do you have a current Alienware 18? If so what cpu do you have? Cpu information will be on the bottom plate of your laptop along with manufacturing date.M18x implies you have an earlier model than the current 18?

It is current. It was built feb 2014... Literally built for a month as I ordered. I want to overclock it but I don't wanna mess up the computer and have things breaking on me. So a safe over clock is what I am trying to figure out. Would be great if there was liquid cooling for laptops. But that's not possible

scracy

Ok so you have a haswell cpu can you tell me which model 4700.4800.4900,4930 the plate on the bottom of your computer will tell you the model number of your cpu.

scracy

Ok install Intel XTU on to your laptop,open the application and see what the maximum cpu core multiplier is available,maybe post a screen shot.

didnt forget abotu this... i lost VERIZON FIOS connection in my house a week or so ago. so im just waiting for it to come back up. soon as it does im going to install XTU and check it out.

XTU CORE 1.jpgXTU CORE 2.jpgimage.jpg

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

MAXMULTIPLIER.jpg this is the max its letting me go... do i need to enchance voltage or anything else?? still a descent processor... but garbage because its not what i wanted when i ordered... dell is stupid... i called them and said " i want to purchase the 4930mx seperately because you guys send me something i didnt want" they transferd me around for about 40 minutes and i just hung up gave up...

on a side note... how much would this 4700 processor sell for? i have only used the m18 no more than 2 hours???

scracy

Anyway you can make these images bigger? I cant read what i says,what are your max multipliers?

If you can give me the maximum multiplies in XTU then i can give you all the settings you need to overclock the 4700MQ including all the voltages that you need to change.

Anyway you can make these images bigger? I cant read what i says,what are your max multipliers?

If you can give me the maximum multiplies in XTU then i can give you all the settings you need to overclock the 4700MQ including all the voltages that you need to change.

i tried making the images bigger. if you can save it on your computer, then just zoom in on the pic. sorry for the hassle lol

scracy

As i can see it your multipliers are 34,34,35,36 so set your cpu voltage to 1.15V and change your processor current (both current settings) to 95A leave your multipliers at their maximum. That should give you 4 cores at 3400Mhz,3 cores at 3400Mhz,2 cores at 3500Mhz,1 at 3600Mhz. Seems thats as far as it will go with 4700MQ. If you had 4900MQ you would have 4 cores at 4200Mhz,3 cores at 4200Mhz,2 cores at 4300Mz,1 core at 4400Mhz at this point you will run into heat problems which is why i suggested not to buy 4930MX as that will clock higher but will require more volts to do so,more volts = more heat simple as that.

antonyo3000

i need help plz i have alienware 18 with i74900mq how can i overclock it . i dont know how to overclock it from XTU sry for my bad lang :)