test

Need help with my cooling pad!

Cassandra420

Okay, I just received my M17x R4 w/3D bundle. I love my laptop but I have to say, I am hopeless when it comes to anything to do with them lol.

I purchased a Thermaltake Massive23 LX Snow Edition cooling pad for my laptop as it said it suits laptops 10"-17". When I place my laptop on the cooling pad it hangs off the edges and the feet do not sit on the cooling pad. I have emailed them but they said the rubber stoppers on the cooling pad itself should lift the laptop enough to not cause any damage. Is this correct? It looks like it can't be good for my laptop having to hang off the edges. I have attached an image to show one of the sides where the feet hang off so you get an idea what I mean.

Sorry for the stupid question, I am just hopeless with anything to do with laptops lol. Please help! I'd love to use my cooling pad but am scared to in case it damages my new laptop. Thanks! :)

IMG_1322.jpg

BrokeHombre

Unfortunately thats the thing with cooling pads, the majority of manufacturers all say they will support 'up to' a 17" laptop. Some of them will fit just right and some will do as yours and hang over the edge. I ordered a Cooler Master NotePal U2 Notebook Cooler - Aluminum, 2x Removable 80mm Fans, Black - and should receive it today. I am not too worried if it hangs over the edge a little, of course the design is a little different than yours, none-the-less I dont think it will hurt yours to sit like that. You could find some small rubber pieces that would lift the laptop up and glue them in place on the cooling pad, or just get a different cooling pad. Hope it all works out for you - welcome to the forum!! :cool:

yikes81

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The point of your laptop feet, is to raise it off the surface so that the fans can move air around.

The point of the cooling pad is to move air around, so it should not be an issue if your laptop is not elevated off the cooling pad.

AeonSoul

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The point of your laptop feet, is to raise it off the surface so that the fans can move air around.

The point of the cooling pad is to move air around, so it should not be an issue if your laptop is not elevated off the cooling pad.

What he said. Unless the vents are directly touching the laptop bottom side, which I guess they're not, then don't you worry.

SpyderBite

In regards to the U2. I use that with my m14x and it fits perfectly. My GF's m17x extends about 1.5" off of each side when centered.

I'd suggest going with the next bigger model for anything 15"+

MattyB

I used to have an M17x and I used a Coolermaster X3 cooler. From memory, it fitted the M17x perfectly. Give it a look if you're worried.

Commy1

Aesthetically it kinda sucks but it'll be just fine, the feet lift the laptop off of a flat surface so air can flow underneath, but the cooling pad will do that for the laptop's feet planted. It'll be alright.

yikes81

I have always vouched for the cooler master u3 cooling pad. It's large, metal and has 3 fans. It's also cheap and does not require an external power supply. Mainly because it easily fits the M17x.

Sent via Tapatalk

Cassandra420

Wow, I did not expect so many responses so soon. Thank you all so much for your help! :)

I learnt the hard way that most things that say "suits 17" laptops" generally do not fit 17" laptops lol. I bought a "17" laptop case" that I later found out only has 15.5" interior dimensions! Ridiculous really..

I will have a look at the U3, I initially chose this one because it looks a lot nicer lol, but it would be nice to have something that fits my laptop correctly. It is good to know that it shouldn't cause any damage though while I decide what to do about it.

Thanks again for all your help, it's extremely appreciated! :)

AeonSoul

Or if you're looking for something massive that goes well with the AW design, check out the CM Storm Strike Force :d But that's not exactly portable.

Cassandra420

I really just want something that will fit my laptop correctly and if possible, look good too lol. The CM Storm Strike Force does suit my laptop extremely well with the LED lights. It would be nice to get something not quite so big, but I will look through all my options and the pros and cons of each before making a final decision. Thank you for your help! :)

ripperbone

i have the Targus HD3 Gaming Chill Mat under my M17X-R3 and it fits perfect. its the same width and length

nE0n1nja

For my M17x I use the CM Ergostand, and yes, now that you've mentioned it I noticed it, the feet do hang in the air from the sides lol. But it's not damaging to the laptop in any way :)

Cassandra420

Thanks Ripperbone! I really like the CM Storm Strike Force for the coloured LED lights though, so I'm thinking about getting one of them lol.

For my M17x I use the CM Ergostand, and yes, now that you've mentioned it I noticed it, the feet do hang in the air from the sides lol. But it's not damaging to the laptop in any way :)

Ohh okay, I'm glad it doesn't cause any damage then! I'm trying to sell my ThermalTake one and buy the CM Storm Strikeforce instead, but if that fails I will just use this one knowing it won't damage my laptop :)

MattyB

I had to buy my CM Storm from the US. Couldn't find anyone in Aus who sold it. Then I had to try to find an AU adapter that would fit it. All good in the end though.

Cassandra420

Yeah, nothing good seems to be in Aus! At least we have the internet though, otherwise we would seriously be stuck lol (Well I know I would be anyway :p)

Dagger133

I agree with Soul! CM cooling pads rock! They are nicely built and very efficient! Check 'em out!