test

Need some help from someone with similar specs to the rig I have

forJAT

I got my rig yesterday and I loaded up EuroTruck Simulator 2 and I noticed running in ultra that every so often I would get stutter steps.

I was wondering if anyone with similar specs as my rig (see signature) could head over to Steam and try out the demo on ultra to see if they got any stuttering..

I will have more time to try other games tonight when I get home.

Again any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

shankc

Alright bud having a few problems I see. I don't know how my system compares to yours or I would give it a try for you. But all in all are you a happy little Alien with a new warp drive lol

forJAT

Thanks shankc I really do appreciate it, it may be nothing at all just thought I would see if it would stress another system on the ultra systems. I was not able to play with her much last night due to other commitments but I should be able to get some more games installed and running tonight :)

I also want to say that the 7970m is still better than the 765m in benchmarks :)

Thank you again, I owe ya one

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

per this site I think we are about even up .. i just scanned it (currently at work)

shankc

I will have a look on Alienwarearena.com its another site very much like this 1 maybe if I do a search with your problem and specs and I will add alienwarearena.com afterwards and If no luck I will try another with alienwareowners.com I might be able to find somebody having the same problem with the same specs as I don't really know the difference in the 7970m & the 765 so might get a hit. But my dogs are starting to howl so I will try it when I get back in & if I get any info I will let you know bud. I no how infuriating it can be I have had a few problems like yours and the community has came to the rescue a few times

shankc

Alright m8 I'm not having much luck. I can't really find much info so what I'm going to do is put your question up on alienwarearena.com see if anyone on their is having the same problem and I will keep searching internet bud and I will let you know when I find something. Just keep getting to no your new lady lol as a little tweak here and their can make a hell of a difference so enjoy and I will get back to you

unikr0n

have you updated to the latest nvidia drivers for that card from the nvidia's site? that would be the first thing to try.

forJAT

I appreciate it .. but let me play with her some more. it may have just been a fluke. I remember after I stopped playing and installed my razer software that the computer applied 47 updates, more than likely just MS stuff but maybe it worked itself out.

Again I appreciate the legwork your doing :) ... I will be home in a couple hours and see if I can replicate it, as it may just be that game.. in Ultra the scenery looks really so it may take its toll :)

unikr0n

the gtx 765m shouldn't have any issues whatsoever running that game on ultra settings.

forJAT

gonna be the first thing I do when I get home. I also read not to update from the Nvidia site that I would have to update through Dell/Alienware to ensure that it works with the alienware software ... hopefully that is more myth than fact.

the gtx 765m shouldn't have any issues whatsoever running that game on ultra settings.

yeah that is my thoughts ... like I said it was the first game I fired up and maybe the drivers or an update was not applied. Hopefully it is all my bad.. I have a few games downloading while at work so hopefully I should be able to give a better report later tonight

shankc

Well let's hope it is something as simple as that. 99% of the time it is something simple like that fingers crossed bud

forJAT

Okay first off thanks for the replies and legwork. It seems that all is well, I was able to play World of Tanks last night at the highest settings, Minecraft and played just a lil bit of Serious Sam BFE with no lag ... then real world issues popped up so I had to put the rig on hold. Gonna put her through more paces over the weekend :) I prob need to use the Alienware Adrenaline to cut off all of those Windows 8 tasks/apps running in the back ground.

Over all I love the machine and I hate to say this but I can see me with another AW sitting in the room. LOL

shankc

Are you sure that's not the windows 8 talking I upgraded on one of my other laptop's and it hardly gets used and I'm very pleased I stayed with windows 7 for my Alienware. I could be wrong some people love it but it has its problems with drivers and I just don't think the user interface works unless you have a touch screen computer. But I might change my mind when 8.1 comes out the end of next month but until then I can handle a 25 second startup but that's just me

I do apologise I thought it was can't see myself with another Alienware I need to get my glasses on lol

forJAT

LOL it wasn't windows 8 see my other post :) (http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/3725-Ok-for-new-owners-of-a-17) I feel stupid .. I personally have not had any probs with Win8 just took some time to get used to that bar and a few other "quirks" as in no longer (or me not finding a way) able to Shift Right Click a file to get the "open with" option. I had to edit a .scr file and actually had to open notepad and open the .scr from inside of notepad.... Inconvenience ehh yes but game breaker, no. But then it could be me look at my video card issue LOL I am still learning the OS but so far I have not had any compatibility issues So I am a happy camper. My wife has a Touch screen and while it makes sense W8 is made for it there is not that much of a difference it running it in full keyboard mode. Once you learn the differences.

Also if you don't like the "metro-Ui" as you know that 8.1 will get rid of it but you can check out, I forget who they are but the company that made window blinds has a program that forces it. I have heard it is actually decent. It costs like USD $5 and there are other freeware solutions ..

Last edited:

shankc

Lol that's just one of those things I always go the fn route except on the r4 its fn+f7 but there is always a learning curve. I'm just pleased you have things running smoothly. As for windows 8 I think its stardock that does the 5$ app but as you said 8.1 is due out soon and the start button is back and you can boot directly into windows leaving the other U I for touchscreen laptops. As I've said some love it some hate it,I'm somewhere in the middle and leaving my decision to upgrade my alienware till 8.1 is out or if I can talk myself into buying the new M18 lol. I do love the idea of dual graphics cards but can I justify the 3000 Gs lol

forJAT

lol yeah it was a lesson learned. I am still beyond happy with the set up. And I know when I get my SSD I will be even more happy :) ..

Hey I do have a question how many HD bays does the 17 chassis have? I have read 2 and 3 bays. I would love to have dual ssds with a 3rd storage.

I see here that x2 SSD in Raid 0 would just scream http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-3.html. I don't think I would ever utilize anything that can write/read that fast but once I get back on track and SSDs drop it would be good to have that Raid 0 set up. However I am more concerned with just having the additional storage in SSD to take advantage of the SSD read/write speeds for video rendering -- But I will be the first to say SSD do scare me. I know that SSDs have come a long way since 2011 but I remember reading scores of articles about longevity of SSDs .