test

Needing help with my very expensive paperweight

Roshane

A few days ago, while surfing the net, my keyboard and touch-pad stopped responding on my m14x r2. No outside forces to cause this, no drops, spills etc. Software issue, of course. External mouse and keyboard work. I called tech support, and after trying a few things, he suggested a clean install of Win 7. I backed up my files, proceeded with clean install. During the installation, I got the BSOD saying something was keeping windows from loading properly, and suggested I run an antivirus to make sure I didn't have issues. I restarted my comp, and it no longer detected a hard drive. I switched to a different drive, managed to get windows loaded, and of course, my back up failed. Now I'm without drivers, the auto detect auto download on the dell support sight doesn't work, my SSD cache is disabled in BIOS, causing things to run very slowly, I'm at the end of my rope. Can I just send the whole damn thing back to Dell and let them deal with it? is there a sight where I can download all the drivers that my machine needs? How do I go about enabling my SSD in BIOS? Windows 7 doesn't even see it, so no help there. ANY info or support will be greatly appreciated folks. I'm at the end of my rope here.

MattyB

That sounds pretty bad. You just need to enter you service tag on the Dell website and all your drivers will come up. Also Google the correct order for driver installation.

This link should help you setting up your cache once your drivers have been reinstalled correctly.
Once you have done all the drivers, your SSD should be recognized. Look under Disk Management in Windows if your BIOS still doesn't see it.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

It may not be software though. The cable connecting your keyboard may have come loose or you may have a motherboard issue. I hope that last one is not it. If you're still covered under warranty you can always get Dell to fix it for you.

Roshane

I'm under warranty, and as I said, I've already spent a whole bunch of hours working on the issues. Would a loose keyboard cable also cause the touch pad to stop? I'm going to try tonight to get things up and running again, but if that fails, can I just put in a call to Dell and arrange to have it shipped to them and let them restore it to its former glory?

MattyB

I can't see why not. Depending on your warranty, you may have a call-out service. I had next business day service with mine which was pretty handy.