new alienware 17 owner!!!!...

shem1410

have always dreamt of buying an alienware but with prices so high in india had to wait a loooooong time... finally recieved my very own alienware 17 and i cant even begin to explain how much i love it... i do have an issue with the switchable graphics at the moment because Fn+F5 doesnt do anything at all:(:( but the rest works fine... glad to finally be a part of the alienware community... looking forward to the years and games to come!!!!:D:D:D

Sarah

Hey from a fellow owner of an Alienware 17, welcome to the forum :) I'm glad you're loving your new laptop and I hope it gives you much pleasure over the next few years :). It's a superb computer and I'm glad that your dream to own one has come true :) I believe you have to restart the laptop after switching the graphics card over. I don't know how it works myself because the integrated graphics doesn't support the 3D display that mine has. So if you have the 3D display then you'll be unable to switch too.

shem1410

hey sarah... glad to be here... i dont have the 3D display... in the beginning it used to ask me to restart the laptop but now it basically doesnt do anything at all... i can press Fn+F5 all day and the laptop doesnt do anything... this happened after i updated the drivers from dell support..

shankc

welcome to the club shem try rolling back the drivers in the device manager if its causing you trouble or uninstall then reinstall but make sure you do it in the right order I'm unsure if its the Intel driver then NVidia or vice or versa a quick google should tell you the order to install or on the Alienware 17 forum hope this helps

shem1410

welcome to the club shem try rolling back the drivers in the device manager if its causing you trouble or uninstall then reinstall but make sure you do it in the right order I'm unsure if its the Intel driver then NVidia or vice or versa a quick google should tell you the order to install or on the Alienware 17 forum hope this helps

tried what you suggested ...still didnt work but thanks ... might have something to do with the windows 8.1 update... ill reinstall win 8 and check...

Shadownl

What you also could try is to download the Nvoptimustestviewer tool if you're running a Nvidia graphics card. It will tell you if it's using the graphics card or the onboard one.