test

New Alienware laptops

MattyB

Ok, so everyone should have had a chance to look at the brand new range of Alienware laptops by now. If not, what the hell have you been doing??!

Anyway, what are your thoughts on them? Pro's, Con's, anything at all.

From first glance I see that they have put the power connector on the side like the old M15x. Not a huge fan of this to be honest but it can be annoying when I pull my M18x towards me and the connector falls out. They have also changed to an anti-glare screen. I have always liked the bright glossy screens since I only use mine indoors. The keyboard doesn't seem to have the same backlit brightness as the previous models but this could be a good thing. Not sure how the backlit touch pad will look close up either. I do like the new lid design though.

The release in Australia isn't for a few more weeks so that will give me time to hear some reviews before making the decision. Who am I kidding, of course I'm getting one! :D

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

dsc02363.jpgdsc02371-1369803314.jpgdsc02437.jpgdsc02454.jpg

dsc02449.jpg
lid view

ejohnson

Cant say I like the new design. I think it would be great except for the leading edge with that sharp edge.
But, I will hold my final thoughts till I can hold one in my hands... Till then I will keep harassing the dell reps to sell me a r4 with 3d screen.

MattyB

They don't look quite as stealthy as they used to but they look tough and I'm sure they'll grow on me.

Now I just need to do a spring clean on some of my other units to help pay for 1.........or 2

Dj852

Not a fan of the colors, BUT I want that Haswell processor :/, just bought mine a month ago, I was so pissed at myself when I saw these new ones. :(

MattyB

Hopefully they are nice and easy to get into and tear apart.

DDuB420

Hopefully they just make it easier to get to all the stuff inside. No ram slots under the keyboard...etc

I like the new look :cool:

Hopefully they just make it easier to get to all the stuff inside. No ram slots under the keyboard...etc

I like the new look :cool:

Commy1

I like that AW is moving more into the "Razer" zone with more trim Neon and such. I'm still not exactly pleased that they're so thick, seeing as how in the Razer Blade laptops, they've managed to put similar parts under the hood while keeping it very thin.
On the other hand, with the bulk they have a lot more to sculpt with, and I think they did a half decent job. As a sculptor myself... I wouldn't have done it the way they did it, as mentioned above I would have gone a lot more sleek, stream line, aggressive, like a Lambo... (Sesto Elemento specifically) with lasers and guns! (Said Jeremy Clarkson).

Edit: I'm really interested in the touchpad, does it just light up? Or does it have some other function. On similar note, with the use of the neon trimming I would have preferred the old style touch pad, with the ring around instead of the entire thing lighting up.

Edit: Edit: I am also unhappy that they moved the power adapter plug onto the side of the laptop for the M17 and M18. I really like the symmetry and the kind of hiding of, the plug. It's out of mind, and when using the laptop in a tight spot, with little room on either side I'm certain the side plug will get in the way.

Last edited:

MattyB

Unfortunately the more I look at them, the more I don't like them. Doesn't look like you get a custom nameplate anymore either.

It looks way too thick at the front. Too thick all over really. The 17 is 4mm thicker at the rear and 2mm thinker at the front than the M17x. That's more than it sounds.

I will hold final judgement until I see them up close but so far I'm somewhat disappointed. Despise the side power adapter plug!!!

MattyB

Cool. I'm really looking forward to a proper hands on review by an end user. As much as I'm not completely happy with the first look of them, I'm thinking about getting a 14 and a high spec 17 or mid spec 18.

MattyB

I'm not liking the customisation on Dell for the 17. You can't choose the CPU you want. You have to choose one of their starting points for each CPU upgrade. This means that you can't get the extreme CPU without getting the 3D LCD and their other expensive upgrades. That's not right! I hope the Aust site doesn't have that bullshit! I think it's the same for the other models too.

Mustangdave

Yeah I noticed that when I reviewed the Canada site. The first two tiers of the 18 are the entry level CPU with only the change of the Graphics cards and HDD between the two. The third tier is the different CPU and BL ROM drive and it goes up from there on the following tiers. Not much customization as the previous "x" series that's for sure.

MattyB

I'm hoping that just a quick chat with my Dell rep will sort that out and I will be able to customize things a little better. I will really only want a high end GPU and one of the top 2 CPU's and stock everything else. I'm sure they will do it for a customer if they ask. Hopefully.

I am a big fan of Alienware Laptops for sure! I have had the M17x R1, M17x R2, M11x R2, M17x R3...But I decided to try Sager Notebook, and I must say it has been an amazing laptop. I paid $1100.00 usd and got a top of the line. I will say this now..I WANT TO SELL IT TO GET A NEW ALIENWARE! lol.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Woo woo, a matte screen! If only it had a dock port and cool AW docking station. ;)

MattyB

Looks like the 14 and 17 have the anti-glare screen while the 18 goes for the true-life which I think is still the glossy one..??

jimbo312

the new ones have some neat features but i still prefer the older ones over the newer ones as far as looks are concerned. if they would have kept the nameplate and the old keyboard i wouldn't mind them so much.

pingz7

The new design looks very slick and tempting. Thinking of replacing my m11x. Any suggestions on what spec shud I get for the new m14?