New Area-51 Laptop!

MattyB

I can see how people like them but I'm still living in the past where AW's where fully upgradable and they had sharp lines and flashy lights. They are becoming way too mainstream for me. I understand why they are moving to thin and light machines but, for me, it's not what Alienware is all about.
Unfortunately the 51M is way overpriced here in Australia. I specced one on the US site and then on the Aust site and the exact same machine was about $800 more down here.
I am glad they have moved away from that grey chassis. It's hideous.
Your thoughts?

LukeG310

I do miss the flashy lights and upgrade possibilities. The refreshed m15/17 with one soldered dim sucks. I ended up sending back my M15 OLED version because of thermals 3 times. I was thinking ok maybe I should hold out for the updated M15 but once I saw the dim is soldered I dont know anymore. I think since my company uses Dell's all the time I got used to the gray chassis but did not like the enormous bezel. The keyboard and track pad were also finger print magnets. I wonder what kind of material the new ones are going to use. My issue with the Area 51M is lack of OLED. The flagship laptop should have OLED or 240hz g-sync.

MattyB

They definitely should. I would think future revisions will have more options. Was it a matter of screen manufacturers not having the tech yet?

Yeah the soldered dimms is crazy but I believe that's all they can do for now. I don't know why you'd even bother releasing a machine with 8gb memory.
In my quest to rid the world of grey Alienwares, I've bought an AW 13 R2 and I'm in the process of painting it matte black.

LukeG310

Have you considered plasti-dip? easy to apply and remove. I did it to my Area 51r1.

MattyB

I've seen you mention it a few times but never looked into what it was exactly. I'll take a look.

LukeG310

Rubber paint that can be removed if you grow tired. You apply about 4 coats and it will be easy to peel off.

MattyB

Sounds pretty interesting. I had a quick look online. How thick does it go?

LukeG310

Varies on the coats. 4-5 coats has a good thick layer. With a sharp object you can trim excessive parts. I have seen few videos of people making their laptops jet black or white. The color has the matte look so you will need a can of plasti dip gloss to have it look like glossy paint or a can to give it metallic look. I am not the best painter in the world nor have patience so I used the cans to make my case black. I learned couple of things like make sure cans have been shaken for a while. Put in warm water for a bit to loosen up the paint. Spray from a small distance and so easy layers. The parts I would mess up and have it look grainy I would peel off and try again.

MattyB

I'm going to respray my M18x next (unless I pull it apart and sell it for parts) or possibly my custom desktop. I'll think about giving it a go. I'm a matte fan rather than glossy so it could work well for me. Worried about it looking to thick on a laptop.
Maybe I'll redo my old X51. Thanks for the tips.

MattyB

Looks pretty good. He probably could have done a little better taping things up but it's simpler than what I'm currently doing. I've stripped mine down completely to get the whole machine done. I've done the matte layers and now I'm just going to grab a can of matte clear coat to give it a smoother finish.
We've probably gone off thread topic though. I'll start a new thread with some pics tomorrow.