test

New Bios?

Jtravapd

On dells website they have listed a new system bios for the 18. It was released on 9/27/13 and lists this as fixes and enhancements

[BIOS]
Modify:
1. Modify BIOS version number.
[EC]
Modify:
1. Modify Fan table algorithm.

Is it worth to download and update? wHAT does the fan algorithm do? Is our fans not working properly? i ONLY ask because my last 18 went on fire and they sent me a brand new one . lol (the other one was only a month old) I was hoping someone here could tell me if i should update it or not..thanks guys

shankc

Well I hope you have better luck with you're new alien. I'm not sure what the new fan logarithm means but its always best to have the latest drivers and bios. Saying that they have just released a new BIOS for my m17x r4 but its only fixes are for windows 8 but yours seems to be relevant to you so I would update it

shankc

Well just leave it for a month or so and keep checking here and on Google to see if anyone is having trouble with it. If other users aren't having any trouble with the update then think about doing it yourself. Just make sure your plugged into a power outlet when you do flash your BIOS it is really simple. Or even phone alienware ask them if they recommend the update as your last alien went up in smoke and they will tell you more about the BIOS update and may even remotely update it for you. But I no were your coming from if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jtravapd

i downloaded it, installed it and my command center is still working . lol. not sure what has changed if anything though. lol.

shankc

Just make sure you create a restore point before updating or a system image on a portable or second Harddrive just incase. You can never be to careful