test

New first time owner, with big problems

Roshane

Hello AWO, new M14x-R2 owner here, having some issues, right out of the box. I bought a refurb and the first thing I noticed was the lack of lighting on the keyboard, all other fx lights work as advertised. I updated the Command Center, and updated the BIOS to A12 to no avail. Next I decided to run the Dell PC Diagnostics, and found what may be a larger problem: Memory: System Memory failed on all accounts. "Your memory is operating outside of normal parameters and should be replaced". It was my understanding when I bought the laptop that it had been checked out and passed inspection. I called the Dell tech line, and didn't feel like waiting the 30 minutes due to high call volume. I'm fairly tech savvy, or at least like to think I am, and would like to fix the problem myself, with a little help from friends, if possible. My specs are: i7-3840QM, GT 650m 2G, 750 HD 128 SSD. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

MattyB

Welcome! Apart from the main cable which connects your keyboard to the mobo, there is also a second smaller cable. I have always assumed this is possibly for the lighting system. That cable could be disconnected. Here is a teardown vid if you want to check.

Not sure if your memory issue would have anything to do with that problem. Maybe try to reseat them and see if that helps. Otherwise I would be asking Dell for another set.

Roshane

Thanks for the quick reply, MattyB. My system recognizes the RAM as being 16GB worth, I wasn't sure if that was what the Diagnostics was referring to. So, check the keyboard, reseat RAM, then reboot and hope for the best. I'll give it a shot and update my findings.

MattyB

Hopefully you don't have an underlying motherboard issue which is causing both problems. That's what warranties are for though I guess.

AeonSoul

Welcome, you might also want to check your RAM timings according to the ones reccomended from the manufacturer.

Roshane

Well, here's where I stand. Ran Dell Diagnostics, updated a few files, now the memory issue seems to be ok. Still no keyboard lights. Uninstalled AWCC then reinstalled, no help, tried a few different releases of it, now I have the facial recognition (don't want) that I thought was done away with... uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. now I'm running version 2.8.8.0, facial recog still tries to run, and still no keyboard lights. I've opened up and double checked the two ribbon connectors for the keyboard, both seemed straight. I read somewhere there were several M14xr2's sent out with some m11 drivers and nameplates, which caused some problems. My refurb has m11 on the bottom plate, but I don't know if that could have anything to do with my issues. Called techline twice now, both times expected waiting time was over half an hour, and I didn't bother to wait. Any help, anyone?

MattyB

Weird that you have an M11x plate.......... If you have a folder with all your dell drivers in it let me know what the numbers are and I will check them against my M11x. The is usually a Dell driver folder under C:\dell I think. I don't know if the driver folders are in there though when they come from Dell. They may be hidden.

One thing to do would be to jump on the Dell website and install all the drivers associated with your service tag number under your machine. Then you will at least know you have the latest drivers.

Roshane

I got in touch with DTS tonight, after remotely checking some things out, updating BIOS, etc, the service tech determined I have a non-functional light system on my keyboard. I then had to transfer the warranty info over to my name, now Dell has to do their thing and I should be good.