New Life (Alienware Aurora Predator)

Hey guys how are you? I haven't done the forum thing in quite some time. There have been a lot of changes in my life and work has been relentless. But I have made some upgrades so I wanted to share.

When I bought this computer several years back I had big plans for it. It originally came with an AMD Athlon x2 on an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe mobo, a single Nvidia 9800gt, 8gb of 800mhz ram and a 700w Alienware Power supply. The hdd had been removed but the computer had previously had Windows Vista installed.

I threw in a 500gb hdd, added a fresh copy of Windows 7 and was up and running. I made a couple of cheap upgrades starting with a used Phenom II x4 940 and an old Radeon 5770 that I had lying around. Later on I wound up picking up an i7 980X to replace the i7 930 in my Alienware Aurora ALX (R1 with the X58). I had also previously grabbed an extra motherboard for that rig because I like to cover my bases. Well now since I had an extra X58 and an i7 930 I scrapped the AMD platform and upgraded the Predator again.

Fast forward a good bit. I was browsing on ebay earlier this year and I found an i7 3960x (es) for cheap so I figured I would take a chance. While waiting on that to ship I went ahead and ordered an MSI X79 LGA 2011 motherboard, an MSI GTX 970, 8gb of Corsair Vengence ram(1600mhz) and an Enermax Liqtech 120X sealed LC unit.

The first motherboard had a broken cap and had to be returned. The second one arrived in perfect condition and I installed everything. The Corsair ram didn't quite fit after installing the lc unit so I swapped it with the G.Skill in my other Aurora. I got it up and running, Overclocked it to 4.0ghz and installed Windows 10. I finally accomplished what I set out to do when I bought this thing. I was a little worried about that processor being an ES but man the thing runs silky smooth. I haven't pushed it past 4.0ghz yet but there is really not much need to. Besides I have done all this while still working 70 - 80 hours a week so I barely have time to even write a paragraph or two in a forum.

But I was extremely excited to get it up and running and I am happy to say that this thing has been running non stop for months now and I haven't had a single hiccup. No freezes, bluescreens or anomalies. I did have to replace one of the fans that came with the lc unit but they were really cheap fans anyway. My temps are good and this thing games very smooth on an LG 34" 21x9 ips monitor. I also managed to install an older version of AlienFx for my TactX keyboard and mouse and it works beautifully.

I just ordered 32gb of ram (4x8gb) as an early Christmas present to myself so I'll be adding the 8gb I have installed back to the netflix PC I have in the living room. I have yet to replace the factory 700w PSU but that is coming as soon as I order another GTX 970. For now the PSU is solid and performs well. I wish I had more pictures but I did most of this in a rush because of my hectic schedule. I can still take more pictures if you guys want to see anything in particular.

aurora 2.JPG aurora 3.JPG aurora 4.JPG Aurora 5.JPG

20150826_142854.jpg 20150826_145334.jpg 20150826_153934.jpg

I've edited a couple of times to keep from double posting.

I wanted to add that I bought a new cheap case for the i7 930 and the other AW motherboard that came out of the Predator. I had a couple of Radeon HD6870s laying around so I built a Netflix box for my 60" tv in the living room. When I get a chance to hunt down the pics for that build I'll upload them too. Specs are:

Netflix box:
X58 MicroATX
i7 930
12gb G.Skill 1600mhz
500gb hdd
2x XFX HD 6870s in CrossfireX
Hooked to tv

My Aurora ALX:
X58 MicroATX
i7 980X @4.0ghz (Tt Water 3.0 Pro)
8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked
875w PSU
2x2tb hdds and 2x1tb hdds
Acer 1920 x 1080 monitor

My Aurora Predator:
MSI X79 full ATX
i7 3960x @4.0ghz
32gb G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600mhz (on the way from Newegg)
MSI GTX 970 oc
1tb hdd
LG 2560 x 1080 (21x9) IPS

Last edited:
Reactions: SWAT_Glock