test

New m17xr4 owner!

ejohnson

Hey guys!
My m14xr2 goes out of warranty in 6 days, so its time for a new laptop :)

I wanted something bigger and more powerfull, I had been waiting for the new models to come out, but I really dont like the new design.... so I got me a nice refurb r4 :)

I had 3 requirements when looking for my r4
gtx680, 1080 screen (wanted 3d) and a bluray drive.

All of the machines in the outlet with bluerays were all 660s and 900p screens, but I found a lone 680 model with a 1080 screen, but had a dvd drive.

I decided it would be alot cheaper to get the 680 model and put in my own blueray drive than it would be to make one of the 660/900p models into what I wanted.

So, now I have my self a I7-3630QM, gtx680, dual 500gb drives, 1080 screen, intel wifi, and a dvd drive.

I need to make a few more upgrades to make it into what I really want, but they shouldnt cost all that much.

First, I need to bump the ram to the max, I DJ with the computers, so having maxed out ram is actually very helpfull.
Going to swap out the 500gb drives for a pair of 1tb drives, and toss in a 64gb cache drive.
Putting in a blueray drive
Going to pull the m17x, along with my m14x and both m11x's apart this weekend for some full repastes (m14x is on original past, m11x's are about 1 year old paste)
Last of all, I need to get rid of the intel card thats in there and put in a nice killer wifi card.

Any other suggestions you guys can think of?
Possibly something to get rid of the keyboard flex on the m17x? the m11x's and m14x dont have near the keyboard flex as this thing does.

ejohnson

Edit, never mind, basement flooded and took the m17x, m14x, and hangar 18 for a swim.

Fml

ejohnson

Hangar was under water, both laptops were powered up on a table, but the power supplies got dunked... Both computers were off when I found the water.

Falcon

Hangar was under water, both laptops were powered up on a table, but the power supplies got dunked... Both computers were off when I found the water.

Sorry for you. By the way claim warranty before its lapse. I dont know whether they accept it or not but give it a try.

Hope it works

MattyB

That's what insurance is for! Looks like a blessing in disguise. Time for some upgrades. I hope the Hangar is salvageable.

ejohnson

Well **** me running... Pardon my language.
Apparently when you sign up for the insurance that covers this sort of thing they forget to put it on your policy.... So according to them I don't have this coverage.
I need to get to my work email where he sent me my coverage that states I have this coverage.
This should be a fun battle.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Well on the plus side, I have both laptops running right now. stress testing the systems. Chargers now live in a big bowl of rice.

Going to give the hangar a few days to dry before I try to fire that one up

DDuB420

Well that's good news that the laptops are working.
Hopefully you get the same results from the hangar when you decide it's dry enough to fire up.

Good luck with the insurance policy battle.

Falcon

Well **** me running... Pardon my language.
Apparently when you sign up for the insurance that covers this sort of thing they forget to put it on your policy.... So according to them I don't have this coverage.
I need to get to my work email where he sent me my coverage that states I have this coverage.
This should be a fun battle.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Well on the plus side, I have both laptops running right now. stress testing the systems. Chargers now live in a big bowl of rice.

Going to give the hangar a few days to dry before I try to fire that one up

See how insurance policies play with us.... They Brag about everything except the necessary issues. When ever we complain, all they say is '' oh.. we are extremely sorry for ur problem but ur policy does not cover act of god...." S**T blah blah...

Sorry you have to deal with the "SITUATION".

ejohnson

Made a little progress with my insurnance. They are sending a reginal manager and a adjuster out next week to take a look at the damage.

THere doesnt look like there is a lot of damage in the basement, but you sure can smell the damage. Between the water that flooded around the cat box and took the cat pee everywhere and the smell of mold, it looks pretty bad.

If it were not for the smell I would not even cared... but that smell is terrible.

Computers are all fixed up now too. Hangar got away with a new msata drive and a psu.
The water level was just a hair under the motherboard, the msata drive sits under the mobo, so that got wet along with the psu.