test

New member to the site but long time Alienware Owner!

UltimateSVT

Hey everyone. Back in November of 2007 I purchased my m5550 notebook from alienware online. It has been the best $1,800 I've ever spent on anything. This notebook has been with me through thick & thin. Traveled thousands of miles & always have had it with me yet this beast still looks like the day I took her out of the box. I've wiped the hard drive clean twice & performed an Alien ReSpawn since I've owned it. The last ReSpawn was done 3 days ago. It is running like a champ. I have a couple questions for you guys

#1. This m5550 tends to heat up quite a lot. Any suggestions (other than buying an external fan) on keeping it running cool?

#2. She's turning 6 years old in November. I'm tired of Windows XP. Do you guys know if she can handle Windows 8 without any issues?

#3. I've done so much searching & I can't find a nice Alienware screensaver. Anyone know of a good Alienware screensaver?

Anyway thanks ahead guys. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

MattyB

Welcome to our little family! With your cooling I would suggest to open her up and clean out the heatsinks. They can sometimes build up some fluff which can block the hot air getting pumped out. Also, a repaste on your GPU and CPU is a good idea if it hasn't been done in 6 years. It may be hard to find a teardown video for your machine but use other vids as a guide and take your time. I just completely pulled my M7700 apart with no instructions. Here's my favorite screensaver (thanks to DDub for posting on here)

http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/2178-Alienware-Fire-Screensaver?highlight=screensaver

Or another

http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/2182-Alienware-Protector-Screensaver?highlight=screensaver

Not sure about your Windows question right now. Someone here will surely be able to help you with that one.

AeonSoul

I think Matty said pretty much everything, cleaning the heatsinks and repasting should do the trick.
Regardless, welcome aboard :D

UltimateSVT

Thanks guys. I just installed the screen saver. I had been watching that screen saver for a couple days now on different places but everywhere I tried to download it, it always came attached to spyware/adware so I was never able to download it. I'm super happy!

Thanks for the 411 on the cooling ideas. I'm going to take things slow. I also have to order more RAM. I'm running on 2GB but I want to double to 4GB very soon. Plus I have to order a new battery because mine is toasty crispy, lol. My battery lasts 6 minutes when unplugged. As soon as I get my RAM & my new battery I'm going to go ahead & do everything all together.

If anyone can chime in on the Window's 8 question it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone! ;)

MattyB

No worries. Good luck! I saw a post somewhere which said that Win7 would work on the m5500. I would assume that the 5550 would be similar. If Win7 works, Win8 should too I guess. Don't take my word for it though! :O

jacobberke

Have you tried the Windows 8 Beta, if they still have them. But I'm pretty sure there's some Window 8 Compatibility tests to see if your laptop is able to handle windows 8. Which I believe it should just fine.

UltimateSVT

No worries. Good luck! I saw a post somewhere which said that Win7 would work on the m5500. I would assume that the 5550 would be similar. If Win7 works, Win8 should too I guess. Don't take my word for it though! :O

Have you tried the Windows 8 Beta, if they still have them. But I'm pretty sure there's some Window 8 Compatibility tests to see if your laptop is able to handle windows 8. Which I believe it should just fine.

Well, I have to see all the options I have. Before even attempting to install Win 8 I want to install more RAM. Just because! I just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks guys.

By the way, there are sections on this forum for the newer Alienware devices but nothing for the older laptops like mine. Where can I post general inquiries about my m5550?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Well, I have to see all the options I have. Before even attempting to install Win 8 I want to install more RAM. Just because! I just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks guys.

By the way, there are sections on this forum for the newer Alienware devices but nothing for the older laptops like mine. Where can I post general inquiries about my m5550?

There is now a Legacy Laptop section under Alienware Gaming Laptops forum. The funny thing is that I always had it created but for some reason never made it active. It's active now so you are good to go.

DDuB420

Im almost positive that Windows 7 is the highest you can go without modifying files.