test

New Motherboard issues

MattyB

I have just installed a new motherboard (not Alienware) into my ALX and I'm having some problems. I'm suddenly getting a message about my Windows version not being genuine. It's also not detecting my bluray drive and one of my 670's. I'll have a good look tomorrow but I thought I'd throw it out to the masses first. A few other things aren't working either. I'm assuming its driver issues with most of the problems but the Windows error is weird. Any ideas??

DDuB420

The windows genuine error usually means your copy of windows hasn't been activated yet (check - My Comptuer/System Properties)I agree, the rest could be driver issues.

MattyB

Is it correct to assume that the dell drivers are useless now that I've changed the motherboard? I guess I'll have to put the new drivers onto a flash drive and install them from that. I forgot that the Alienware Windows disks wouldn't work now that it's not really an AW anymore.

yikes81

BIOS update? I don't think Windows not being genuine has much to do with the hardware, unless you are trying to install an OEM version.

Tapatalk'n on the Galaxy S4

MattyB

It's all good now. All I had to do was enter the product key. I missed plugging one of the sata cables into the motherboard too (the one for my blueray drive) so once I realized that I was good to install all the drivers. I now have the AlienFX working on it too so everything is going great! My CPU is now idling at 25 Degs.
photo.jpg

yikes81

It's all good now. All I had to do was enter the product key. I missed plugging one of the sata cables into the motherboard too (the one for my blueray drive) so once I realized that I was good to install all the drivers. I now have the AlienFX working on it too so everything is going great! My CPU is now idling at 25 Degs.
View attachment 990

Good to hear that it's all working. When I read about the product key and sata cable, all I could think about was Doh!!

MattyB

Yeah I know! Face palm! Thought I'd share my stupidity with everyone though. The product key thing threw me though. Not sure why changing the mobo affected that.

yikes81

You have to enter it each time you install windows. A Microsoft thing.

MattyB

I didn't reinstall windows though. Also, I have never had to use the key when doing reinstalls. Not in 8 or 9 attempts.

yikes81

Oh ok. Yeh it's a registry entry. When you punch in the key, it records some hardware serial codes. Mobo, being one. So when some hardware specs change, it assumes that is a new pc.

JennyM

Is it correct to assume that the dell drivers are useless now that I've changed the motherboard? I guess I'll have to put the new drivers onto a flash drive and install them from that. I forgot that the Alienware Windows disks wouldn't work now that it's not really an AW anymore.

Gasp! U de-alienated ur AW? Matty! How could you! :p

MattyB

It still has its AlienFX flair so it's still an AW on the outside

jayhernandez7

I just finished reading this entire post. LoL too funny. I love this community already, haha. *facepalm* for not plugging in SATA cable, but we've all had our tech brain farts at some point!