New (multiple) site backgrounds?

Why not have (some) cool site backgrounds? the site and forums are great but would look much better.
I'm sure vBulletin allows that interface
you can have different site backgrounds like for say some on the different alienware laptop models, desktops or cool games
users can decide on a poll which backgrounds they wish to have
This will greatly add to the look and friendliness to the site.. our alienware looks awesome, shouldn't the site too? :)

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
We had 4 different FX themes before the last vBulletin update. That update caused most of them to break due to the stylevars changes. The next update is just around the corner. I'm going to wait for that then I can look at adding an additional layout.

I am experimenting with some style changes.... what do you all think about the background on the site home page here: http://www.alienowners.com
actually it looks fantastic! looking forward to your other samples. Maybe we can have a vote on a regular basis if having multiple backgrounds a issue.
Btw be sure to upload the images in max res you have, would make for excellent wallpapers :)

AeonSoul

Neat!
Maybe you can also add some more Alienware-related backgrounds, althrough I don't really mind.
I'm not that much of a fanboy :p

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
Right now I am just testing the waters. For the site homepage, which I have set at a fixed width, you can see the backgrounds. But on the forum, its an auto width based on how you size your browser window. I think setting the forum to a fixed width (like AWA) makes it too narrow for the content and other areas.

the index page is rather too small I feel, while the thread size (both default) are just fine. Thought you should know, although no big deal

AeonSoul

Tommy maybe you should edit the CSS to make the background fixed. I don'tl ike really much the fact that when you scroll it suddenly goes black :(

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
It is fixed. To the top and centered. The fade to black is normal, plus going off the side of the cliff is going down into the black hole! LOL

AeonSoul

Of well, I meant having the forum looks like it scrolls over the image, as the image stands still, but that's just a matter of personal tastes :p

Something like this:

Code:
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-attachment:fixed;

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
I found a style bug in vBulletin that forced me to put just the forum back at full width. I reported it and they are now aware of it. When they release a patch, I will put it back. The site home page did not change since it doesn't effect it.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
AWO Supporter
Of well, I meant having the forum looks like it scrolls over the image, as the image stands still, but that's just a matter of personal tastes :p

Something like this:

Code:
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-attachment:fixed;
I had some time to play with the background css. Should stay in place now. Lets see how everyone like it. :) I like it.

MattyB

Any new backgrounds coming soon Tommy? Just trying to keep you busy! :cool: