test

New Owner with problems

bmxer13

Hi guys im new here and just picked up a x51 from a guy on CL. He told me everything was in working order but when I get home I find that's not entirely true. My problem is for the life of me I cannot get any sort of signal to my monitor. I tried the hdmi ports both on the computer and the graphics card. then googled the problem and it said to try the dvi port so I tried that with no luck. I even unplugged the graphics card and tried using the computers hdmi port again but nothing seems to be working. im at a lost right now and was hoping some of you could help me out.
Thanks

bmxer13

It sounds like it boots. No beeps and all the lights on the case stay a constant green.

STDVirus

Try using a monitor instead of a TV i'm thinking the guy might have the resolution set to high for a tv to display it. For example if my resolution is set over 1080p my tv just shows a black screen.

bmxer13

Try using a monitor instead of a TV i'm thinking the guy might have the resolution set to high for a tv to display it. For example if my resolution is set over 1080p my tv just shows a black screen.

Even with the dvi port tho? Does the resolution settings affect that to or just the hdmi

STDVirus

you can try pulling the CMOS battery to clear it to factory settings. Some times that works.

bmxer13

Well i pulled the battery for about 5 minutes plugged it back in and still nothing. Could the battery be dead? Or would the computer not boot at all if it was dead?

STDVirus

Not sure to be honest but you could take it to a jewelry store and have them test the battery.

I see You

Yes call the person you bought it from and ask him why he lied to you and then ask him to be straight up and honest as to what is wrong with the computer you just bought from him. and then turn him in to craigslist for not being a honest seller.

bmxer13

Well the sad part is that he's not answering any form of communication at all. So I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with this paper weight so I'm trying to make the best of it

STDVirus

have you tried completely taking out the video card and just running the onboard video?

bmxer13

Yes. I've taken it out. I've taken each stick of memory out 1 at a time. None of it seems to be working. I don't have any thermal paste or I would reseat everything to

I see You

HMM Bad motherboard is what it sounds like to me and the sad part of it is you have to get these motherboards from Dell.

STDVirus

yeah sounds like a bad MB. You can find them on Amazon or ebay for a decent price. Sorry that someone did that to you that's messed up.

bmxer13

Well I'm gonna end up buying a new mobo in the next week or 2. Which do you guys recommend for an upgrade? Don't really care if I loose the alienware customization software if I can get a better performing mobo in the case