New SSD msata for M14x R2

wayner48

Apr 6, 2022
Melbourne
Hello. After 10 years, my SSD looks like it's on its last legs. I currently have the Samsung SSD PM830 msata 128gb installed. I am looking at replacing it with the Transcend TS128GMSA230s. Does anyone know if the Transcend is compatible and will do the same job? I am hoping it'll just be a straight swap.

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
No worries. Let me know if you have any issues getting it to work. If the old drive was set up as your OS drive then you shouldn't have any issues.

I'd suggest to do a clean Windows installation using a USB drive and the Microsoft Media Creation Tool rather than cloning your old drive but it's up to you.
If there were any software issues on your old drive then you can bring them over to the new drive if you clone.

wayner48

Apr 6, 2022
Melbourne
No worries. Let me know if you have any issues getting it to work. If the old drive was set up as your OS drive then you shouldn't have any issues.

I'd suggest to do a clean Windows installation using a USB drive and the Microsoft Media Creation Tool rather than cloning your old drive but it's up to you.
If there were any software issues on your old drive then you can bring them over to the new drive if you clone.
It is my OS drive.
I have saved a USB stick with the Factory Image and also did a recovery drive. I'll try the clean install though. Can I just download that from Microsoft and then use my old key?
I'm pretty sure it's the SSD causing trouble. My computer has started freezing for about 10 seconds at a time, where you can't do anything and the video stops and the sound repeats. I've gone through all the solutions, and this seems to be the last thing I can do. I'm pretty sure it's the SSD causing the problem, because I can hear it make noise just before it happens. The most annoying part is that it makes the fan kick into high and the fan won't turn off until it freezes again.
When I had a new motherboard installed about 18 months ago, the bloke who did it went into my BIOS settings and did something to my fan, which I loved, as the fan was always so loud and ran nearly all the time. He told me when he installed it that my SSD was showing a few problems during a stress test he performed, so I assume it's nearly dead now..
Do you know if I'll have to change that fan setting again, or will my BIOS setting remain the same?
I love my M14X R2 and want to keep it forever. I worked out last week that my laptop has done over 65,000 hours of hard work since I bought it, and it's still faster and more reliable than most newer computers I see. I've had to replace the battery 3 times, the charger once, the motherboard once and that's it! It's been excellent value for money.
That being said, I've just bought a new X14 from Dell's eBay store, so am excited to try something new.

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
The BIOS shouldn't change unless you leave the CMOS battery out for an extended period or if the CMOS battery fails. Then the BIOS usually sets itself back to default.
If you have Windows 10 installed then the key is saved on the motherboard. When you reinstall Windows it will automatically activate.
Hopefully it's just your old SSD causing the problem, you'll find out soon enough though. The SSD shouldn't make any noise though since there are no moving parts like an old mechanical HDD.
I've rebuilt a few M14x's over the years. they are fun little machines. The X14 looks amazing but I can't get over the fact that everything is soldered these days. If your RAM fails then you're up for an expensive new board. I think the wifi card is also soldered.

wayner48

Apr 6, 2022
Melbourne
The BIOS shouldn't change unless you leave the CMOS battery out for an extended period or if the CMOS battery fails. Then the BIOS usually sets itself back to default.
If you have Windows 10 installed then the key is saved on the motherboard. When you reinstall Windows it will automatically activate.
Hopefully it's just your old SSD causing the problem, you'll find out soon enough though. The SSD shouldn't make any noise though since there are no moving parts like an old mechanical HDD.
I've rebuilt a few M14x's over the years. they are fun little machines. The X14 looks amazing but I can't get over the fact that everything is soldered these days. If your RAM fails then you're up for an expensive new board. I think the wifi card is also soldered.
I bit the bullet tonight and did a clean install of Windows using my current set-up, and so far the freezing problem seems to have stopped. I tried doing a factory reset using AlienSpawn, but that just redirected me to the Windows reset function. I've reinstalled a few programs and will slowly install what I need and see if it starts happening again. Fingers crossed! I think it may have had something to do with an update about 4 or 5 days ago. If it turns out I don't need to replace anything, I'll might resell the parts in my eBay store. I ended up buying an OEM HDD too, but got that and the SSD for great prices, so won't lose out. I might even keep them for future spares. Thanks for all your help, mate.

Reactions: MattyB