test

New SSD

Hi
Since it seems that my hard disk just decided to shut down and didn't let me save all my files, I was thinking of making dell give me a new normal hard disk using warranty which then I will sell to buy an ssd
Any advices?
I already have an SSD for cache (30gb)
I was thinking of a 256gb
Price vs Quality

sway

Prolly won't be able to do that, it'll be a Dell oem hdd with their partition on it and if it's gpt or whatever then you won't be able to do anything with it. I have my seagate from my x51 that is a 1 tb paperweight now bc it's gpt format or something.

tapping from the Note II

R: New SSD

Do you mean that its coded for my pc?
What if I sell it to another alienware?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

sway

Do you mean that its coded for my pc?
What if I sell it to another alienware?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

Idk what they do but it's tied to dell, I couldn't even use my seagate on the alienware it came from one I wiped Windows from it. I tried everything, other computers nothing worked.

tapping from the Note II

AeonSoul

Idk what they do but it's tied to dell, I couldn't even use my seagate on the alienware it came from one I wiped Windows from it. I tried everything, other computers nothing worked.

tapping from the Note II

Have you tried doing a deep format, writing 0s on the whole hard drive and such?

Anyway, if you're going to buy a new SSD probably the best you can get as of now is a Samsung 840 Pro. 256GB is good.

sway

Have you tried doing a deep format, writing 0s on the whole hard drive and such?

Anyway, if you're going to buy a new SSD probably the best you can get as of now is a Samsung 840 Pro. 256GB is good.

Haha funny you say that, I used a program I found deep in the interwebz that supposedly had military grade wiping abilities from within the bios. I'm not lying when I say this program is crazy, I put it on a disk and booted from this disk. It has 6 or so types of different wipes to choose from. They all take various amounts of times with the most being a few days, yes a few days depending how big the hdd is, mines a tb so a while.

The easy one was was just writing zeros several times, some were writing layers of zeros in different ways I chose that one and it took about 23hrs. I was sure I was good to go, but the partition was still there, I was like wuuuuuttttt!!! I was to impressed that it didn't work to be mad, then I went and bought my wd caviar black.

Edit. Just looked it up and the program in case anybody is interested is called dariks nuke and boot. It works, just not that time, I used it on a old hdd I had. Your suppose to not be able to use any kind of recovery program after the wipe.

tapping from the Note II

MattyB

Hi
Since it seems that my hard disk just decided to shut down and didn't let me save all my files, I was thinking of making dell give me a new normal hard disk using warranty which then I will sell to buy an ssd
Any advices?
I already have an SSD for cache (30gb)
I was thinking of a 256gb
Price vs Quality

The 840 Pros are probably one of the best ones out there right now. If you want something that's more value for money, maybe just go for a standard 840 or 830. You won't see much real world difference. Really just in benchmarks. Saying that, I would go for the Pro even though I wouldn't need to. 256Gb would be the size to go for.

MattyB

If you have the cash I would go for the Samsung. If money is an issue go for the Crucial. You won't notice a huge difference.

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

I've been using OCZ Vertex 4's and they have been great. It's all personal preference

I've searched on the internet and found that the ocz vertex 256gb cost as much as the samsung one...
quite undecided...
btw thanks for helping guys :)

MattyB

I think we are probably making your decision harder. I have the Vertex 4's but the 'next gen' for me would be the Samsungs so if they are the same price, go for the Samsung. I think they have marginally better read/write speeds.