New to Alienware!

MattyB

Just wanted to say that I'm a brand new Alienware owner (M17x) and I love it! Awesome machine thats turning heads everywhere. I already want a M11x just to carry around everywhere I go! :D

Dantheman221

Enjoy! I still think that you can carry around an m17x in your backpack :) M11x would be rendered useless with games the m17x can handle :D

AeonSoul

Yeah m17x can be carried around, you just need to put some back effort into it xD ~5 kilos ain't that much... D:

dnvr.dsz

hello and welcome to the forum and the alienware family :D....and yea you can carry m17x around unless you're lazy like me :D xD

MattyB

I work away from home so I'm carrying it around quite a bit. I have no problems taking it to the ofiice and back to my motel every day. It would be more for when I'm on the plane and just want to pass the time. After having this for the last 2 months, I just want more Alienware toys!!!!

Maelstrom

I've got books that I have to carry around that are heavier than a M17x so mobility shouldn't be that much of a problem. I have a M14x so that's even lighter!

yikes81

Welcome to the "scoliosis" club!! LoL. You will love every back breaking moment on this refined piece of machinery!

novasti

Got my system last night, so i didnt have much time to play then.

Loaded up TF2 tonight via Steam just to try out the 580m. Was disappointed, as TF2 didn't tax the card like I thought it would...the gameplay was fun, though. I picked it for the quick download...should've loaded BF3 instead... Will do that tomorrow night, and maybe look for a miniDisplayPort-to-miniDispayPort cable, so I can use my iMac as a second display.

MattyB

Got my system last night, so i didnt have much time to play then.

Loaded up TF2 tonight via Steam just to try out the 580m. Was disappointed, as TF2 didn't tax the card like I thought it would...the gameplay was fun, though. I picked it for the quick download...should've loaded BF3 instead... Will do that tomorrow night, and maybe look for a miniDisplayPort-to-miniDispayPort cable, so I can use my iMac as a second display.

BF3 is fantastic with the 580!! Just dont do what I did.... I made the rookie mistake of assuming my system would come with reasonably updated drivers. BF3 crashed constantly. I soon realized that my 580 driver was 9 months old. Been sweet on ultra settings ever since.

yikes81

Did any of you get the 3D option? BF3 can make you a little sick in 3D. But I am a glutton for punishment.

MattyB

Did any of you get the 3D option? BF3 can make you a little sick in 3D. But I am a glutton for punishment.
Nah I didn't. I've never been a fan of the 3D world. Also, I heard you could lose some performance on the M17x. How have you gone with it?

Dantheman221

Bah, dont listen to him! If you instal iz3d on your PC, you can play in cyan/red glasses or, if you have a 3D screen or tv, you can use that! Ofcourse, you have to pay a bit extra...Better than buying the 120mhz + nvidia glasses monitor :D AND, games dont lag that much! ^^ I've played CoDMW3 in 3D max settings and I still get like, 30 fps :D

yikes81

Nah I didn't. I've never been a fan of the 3D world. Also, I heard you could lose some performance on the M17x. How have you gone with it?
Actually I have not noticed anything to the naked eye. I have not done any FPS checks. I guess I am only interested in being able to play the game, and I can do that in 3D with everything ultra.

MattyB

Actually I have not noticed anything to the naked eye. I have not done any FPS checks. I guess I am only interested in being able to play the game, and I can do that in 3D with everything ultra.
That's great then. You hear all kinds of crazy things from people. Mostly Alienware haters. I saw heaps of reviews blasting Alienware before I decided to get one. Glad I didnt listen! I probably would have got the 3D but my budget was already stretching pretty thin. Enjoy!

BlackJair

A lot of people think that an AW machine must full every expectation from everybody, it's just another brand, and as any other brand, has problems, but AW has minor than others ;)

I mean, don't expect an AW system to fly!