test

New to forum and Alienware

wondergeek

Hi all,
I just yesterday (10-9-13) purchased my very first Alienware and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. It's a 14. It is expected to be delivered by 10-23. I'm not new to Dell, especially since I work at a university where we only use Dell PCs and servers. Hoping it comes soon.

yikes81

Welcome to the forum. You will definitely love your new toy.

Tapatalk'n

forJAT

WELCOME to the club!!!! .... remember to keep your drinks away from the keyboards and enjoy your stay .. fire exits are located at the rear of the establishment

wondergeek

WELCOME to the club!!!! .... remember to keep your drinks away from the keyboards and enjoy your stay .. fire exits are located at the rear of the establishment

Lol. That's funny. Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Hope to contribute some of my I.T. knowledge to the forum.

- now Free

Sarah

Only a few days now until your new toy arrives :) Welcome to the wonderful world of Alienware :)

wondergeek

I finally got it. I am installing games to it right now. Funny thing happens when I boot it up without a network cable plugged in. The NIC doesn't show up in device manager, but when I have it plugged in before booting, it will show up. Wireless shows up no matter what.

wondergeek

First impressions. Really cool. Love the back-lit touchpad. Gets a little warm but runs very fast. Blu-Ray's work great. Looking forward to using it for gaming. Some work buddies are having a LAN on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. Screen is absolutely brilliant. Other than the NIC thing, everything is peachy. I ordered it with Windows 8 and am upgrading to 8.1 tonight. I will also be upgrading to Pro tomorrow.

Sarah

Congratulations there :) I guess we know what you'll be doing all weekend then and it won't involve mowing the lawn! lol. I'd be interested to hear what you think of 8.1 as well since I'm not sure if I want to go up to it just yet. I'm just not sure about all of this new SkyDrive cloud stuff and the loss of the windows 7 recovery feature. I prefer to keep all of my stuff local and vanilla Win 8 lets me do that.

wondergeek

Congratulations there :) I guess we know what you'll be doing all weekend then and it won't involve mowing the lawn! lol. I'd be interested to hear what you think of 8.1 as well since I'm not sure if I want to go up to it just yet. I'm just not sure about all of this new SkyDrive cloud stuff and the loss of the windows 7 recovery feature. I prefer to keep all of my stuff local and vanilla Win 8 lets me do that.

Lol. Lawn? We're lucky if they paint (hydro seed) the grass on. My yard is a rock pit. Being an I.T. pro, I have to force myself to use new tech. I usually just keep SkyDrive turned off. This has been one of the warmest Octobers in a while. We usually have snow by now. I can get around 8.1 better than 8. I like the boot to desktop and show all apps on start menu. They also brought right-click menus back to the start menu which is great to run cmd as admin.

- now Free

Sarah

Lol. Lawn? We're lucky if they paint (hydro seed) the grass on. My yard is a rock pit. Being an I.T. pro, I have to force myself to use new tech. I usually just keep SkyDrive turned off. This has been one of the warmest Octobers in a while. We usually have snow by now. I can get around 8.1 better than 8. I like the boot to desktop and show all apps on start menu. They also brought right-click menus back to the start menu which is great to run cmd as admin.

- now Free

A rock pit? lol. Better make sure you don't drop the new laptop out there then! I'm into IT as well and am a .NET developer (aka code monkey!). I do get to play with tech but tend to stick with Microsoft as much as possible as I don't have the time on my hands to play with other stuff like Linux or Apple. I love using VMware though. October has been quite wet here in the UK but I won't complain because we had a nice hot summer for a change! :) I hate snow when I have to drive around in it! My car is a GTi type car and it has a turbo petrol engine in it. It goes really well and handles like a go kart in the dry/rain but is pretty crap in the snow because it's got fat tyres and too much power! Luckily I live in a part of the UK where we hardly get snow. Most places here had record snow falls last winter and it was the longest winter for about 50 years :( But we only had a bit of snow in our area in February :) It was bl**dy cold though and we didn't escape that. Maybe I'll have to try 8.1 then after all. Sounds like it could be quite a nice OS.