test

New to PC Gaming....arriving very late to the party.

Saintnowhere

Hi all,

I'm an old timer. Been a gamer since 1979. Always was an arcade guy and console guy. Maybe you guys disagree with this, but I think a sea change is coming for gaming. I think PC gaming is about to enter a renaissance.....as well as everyone's living room. Finally took the plunge and ordered my X51 last week. Chomping at the bit to get it.

My first question is actually about shipping and receiving. For those of you who already bought and received yours, is the date shown as the delivery date on your order number generally accurate? Does it arrive earlier or later? Mine shows Feb 18th and I chose overnight shipping. Just trying to plan to be home from work that day so I can sign for it.

Thanks for any info!

Maelstrom

It was about a year ago but when I ordered mine it arrived about a week earlier than planned. I actually remember the FedEx guy came to our house three days in a row because no one has home to receive the package. We didn't think it was going to get there as soon as it did.

Saintnowhere

It was about a year ago but when I ordered mine it arrived about a week earlier than planned. I actually remember the FedEx guy came to our house three days in a row because no one has home to receive the package. We didn't think it was going to get there as soon as it did.

Appreciate the info! Fingers crossed that it works out for me that way as well. Got a brand new Blackwidow keyboard and Razer epic mouse that I'm dying to break in on StarCraft II and Crysis 3.

Rob Wills

Hi Saintnowhere (and all AWO Members)! I'm another old-timer. My machine arrived in December, 3 days after the expected delivery date. Luckily someone was home to taken it in. In any case, once you get your X51, all events leading up to that magic moment will mysteriously melt into oblivion...

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Get a good package tracking app for your smart phone. I use one by JuneCloud. Once you get your tracking number, enter it, and you are all set.

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days so I am right there with you guys. ;)

Welcome to the Alienware Owners Club!

MattyB

Welcome to both of you guys. I have had a few deliveries and I have always received them exactly on the day they estimate or a few days before. Pretty much each time I wasn't home so all
I got was a card saying that they had tried to deliver and for me to rebook.

Good luck. I hope you're more patient than I was!

VagrantXeth

Welcome! I have been gaming since the days of the 2600 as well. I can tell you firsthand that the X51 will truly make you a PC gamer. I for one play almost exclusively on my PC, but occasionally I do dabble a bit on the consoles. My suggestion, don't overlook Steam. It is a great way to snag good games at a bargain, especially during the holiday sales. Enjoy and a very warm welcome to our world! If you have any questions, hit us up. There are many fine folks on this forum and friendly to boot, they will definitely lend a hand should you require assistance.

Saintnowhere

Welcome! I have been gaming since the days of the 2600 as well. I can tell you firsthand that the X51 will truly make you a PC gamer. I for one play almost exclusively on my PC, but occasionally I do dabble a bit on the consoles. My suggestion, don't overlook Steam. It is a great way to snag good games at a bargain, especially during the holiday sales. Enjoy and a very warm welcome to our world! If you have any questions, hit us up. There are many fine folks on this forum and friendly to boot, they will definitely lend a hand should you require assistance.

Funny you should bring this up Vagrant ;) it just so happens I visited the Steam website last night and absolutely FELL IN LOVE....or maybe it is lust, but at any rate I was blown away at the number of downloadable games and demos. I have already created an account, picked out my first batch of games/demos and have them saved on my wish list.

To Dell, please, please hurry and get me my X51!!!! I don't think I can wait any longer! How long does it take to get the X51s boxed up and ready to ship anyway?!?!

MattyB

Don't forget that you don't actually 'own' the games you buy on Steam. Some people have a problem with that but I'm hardly going to want to leave them to someone in my will so it doesn't really bother me.

Saintnowhere

Don't forget that you don't actually 'own' the games you buy on Steam. Some people have a problem with that but I'm hardly going to want to leave them to someone in my will so it doesn't really bother me.

Here's a question on that topic....if for some reason my Internet is down, can I still play games I got off steam or does it make you authenticate every single time you boot up?

MattyB

Good question. I have never actually tried to play offline. What I have heard though is that you have to set Steam to offline while you are still online to be able to play games in offline mode. Hope that made sense. I'm not sure if that's true though. It seems a bit silly. Have a go if you have any games installed. I don't have my AW with me to check.

yikes81

Steam requires you to authenticate majority of the time. Most games on Steam are online anyway.
The authentication helps with reducing the number of hackers in-game.

If there are some off-line games purchased via steam, you should be able to play offline.

AeonSoul

Here's a question on that topic....if for some reason my Internet is down, can I still play games I got off steam or does it make you authenticate every single time you boot up?

You can play them offline as long as you got them installed.

Vitalus

Waiting for mine. Date shown for delivery is next Monday February 25th. No news so far and the week-end is coming...have a feeling it will not be deliver on time...just a guess. Trying to saty on the positive side. Will let you know.

Saintnowhere

Hang in there Vitalus! I thought the exact same thing. I wasn't until around 10pm the night befor it shipped that I finally got my notice that it was on the way. I don't believe there are currently any chip shortages, so you should get yours right on the day they show it arriving to you.

VagrantXeth

Make sure you update the GPU drivers as soon as you get it. I think they just released a new driver. Always a good rule of thumb to check for updates when you get a new machine. On a different note, like someone said earlier, Steam games can be played offline if the games are installed. You can add me to your friends list if you like (VagrantXeth).

Sent from Tapatalk via my Samsung Galaxy S III