New X51 Nightmare in progress

jd63636

Mar 12, 2012
SoCal
This beast was delivered 2/12 with the graphics amplifier. However due to work and upcoming shoulder surgery it was only used a handful of times. Unfortunatly the week of my surgery was day 30 so I cant return it.

My X51 R3 has had this issue since day one. Randomly when powering the system on (not a restart) it will freeze on an aqua (I’m color blind) screen with the little circle if dots. (See pic) on more rare occasions it will do this on the login screen. If I force shut down with the power button and then power right back up it boots fine and runs with no issues.

After spending two plus hrs a couple of days ago with AW tech support I was as I figured left with no resolution and no answers. We ran the pre boot assessment with no errors, a software test with no errors and he re-flashed my bios with 1.2.4 which I already had. His only parting advice was that if it continued doing it was to reinstall using the recovery image. this was all done running the graphics amplifier with an EVGA GTX980 SC - P/N: 04G-P4-1982-KR. Video driver is 361.91. And I have installed WoW, Office 2013 and my printer driver.

Update
I disconnected the graphics amplifier and went back to the internal GTX 960 and am seeing the same lockup mentioned above plus something new. Occasionaly when you press the power button the power button light comes on but the X51 does nothing, no lights no fans just dead. After a forced shut down with the power button some time it boots right up and some times locks on on one of the two screens mentioned above.

Does anyone have any additional ideas on what I can look for? My next step is to reload the factory image and install nothing and see if it continues.

Attachments

• aqua screen freeze for web.jpg
    aqua screen freeze for web.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 21
  • pwr button only.jpg
    pwr button only.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 16
  • log screen for web.jpg
    log screen for web.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 13

jd63636

Mar 12, 2012
SoCal
I did call again and got a very good rep this time, within an hour we had worked out doing the return of the X51 and GA for a full refund. Now that that is settled I ordered another X51 with the same config except it now includes the GTX 970 ;-) Also ordered the GA since it was on promo at $179 and I already have a GTX 980 that needs a home. Only a $76 difference in price between the two so hopefully #2 will be trouble free.

Reactions: SWAT_Glock

jd63636

Mar 12, 2012
SoCal
Ok Now I am baffled beyond measure. After returning the first system for this exact same problem I ordered another one. I received a New X51 R3 same exact config but with the GTX 970 and I am having the same problem

(On the first X51 I spent a total of 4 hours with AW tech support running every test they had and even reloaded the factory image but nothing fixed it.)

When I push the power button only the power button lights up. If I push and hold the power button until it's light goes out and then press it again the computer powers up normally and functions perfectly, I can duplicate every time I shut it down.

Please does anyone have any clues? The system is listed below. I borrowed a Logitech wireless mouse and Razer black widow ultimate and had the same result. I don't want to return another one If I can avoid it but if I don’t find a solution I will have to.

System:

X51R3

i5 6600K

512GB SSD

2TB storage drive

16GB ram

GTX 970

Liquid Cooling

Dell U2515 H Monitor connected by display port

Roccay ISKU FX keyboard

Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

Dan.J

Jan 9, 2016
Wow thats weird, and super weird for both of them to do the same. I have basically the same system and I have the same keyboard and mouse as you and mine boots on first try always. Wish I could help but honestly I'm not sure what would cause that.

jd63636

Mar 12, 2012
SoCal
Yep very bizzaare,

I called AW tech support and emailed links to the videos and they are baffled as well since no one had seen this. So what they are doing is capturing my X51. They submitted an order for yet another one and when it arrives it will have a pre paid label for mint to go back for evaluation so they can try to figure it out. So angain AW TS has impressed and surprised me. Hopefully the third one is the charm.

Je3HonG

Jun 9, 2016
I bought mine on April 2016, but with the higher spec. Been using it for the past one month and so, and this just happen to me yesterday.

While at the login page it start to freeze, try to turn it off and reboot again. Same thing happen, but able to login to the windows on third attempt. Used it for like 5 minute then freeze again, I'm not sure whether is the USB causing the problem. It seem like the driver for USB is not stable when I'm using this rig from day one (etc. can't detect the mouse or keyboard).