test

New X51 Owner

nando2323

Just got me a X51 a couple weeks ago on the dell refurb site. Got the i7-2600, gt545, 1TB for $549 which I thought was a steal. Well that is until I just got in a 330W PSU, EVGA GTX660TI+ SC, Samsung 250gb SSD. So I'm right back up to the $1000 range with the upgrades. I have not installed the GPU or SSD yet, will be doing that tonight. Anything I have to be aware of with these upgrades?

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

OOps wrong thread please move to X51 thread.

MattyB

Welcome! That's a pretty good deal. I love the Dell outlet store. Good luck with the installs. Should be pretty hassle free.

DDuB420

Welcome to the Forums, enjoy your lil beast.
You should be fine with all those installs
If you run into problems you know where we are :cool:

VagrantXeth

Good luck with the installing the GPU, remember that because it is a small form factor the GPU installation is slightly different. There is a cradle that the GPU plugs into that in turn plugs into the mobo. Keep in mind that there are plastic clips that secure the GPU to keep it from getting shifted or unplugged inadvertently, and mind the cable placement as the components inside are a bit of a tight fit. There are plenty of youtube videos that show you how to swap out the GPU, I suggest you refer to them to eliminate any headaches that you may run into. Enjoy!!

nando2323

Installed the GPU and the hard drive without any problems. This thing flies now holy smokes. I cloned windows and boot up is stupid fast now. The windows logo does not even draw all the way before the desktop shows up. I am just using the nvidia drivers I guess that's the best one to use correct? The system is running very good and quiet too and doesnt seem to get too hot. I played Guild Wars 2 for a couple hours on max settings and it seemed good to go. This is one nice little system I really am enjoying my trip back to PC gaming took like a 3 year hiatus from it.

dpinkerton

I also recently bought my Alienware off of Dell's Auction website, great deal! I was able to purchase my Alienware area-51 for $380. Great place to get slightly used machines! Welcome back to gaming.

Sora3

congrats. after i get settled into my new alienware laptop i want to get an x51 off dell outlet as well for my office. have fun with your new beast

Scottao

Just got me a X51 a couple weeks ago on the dell refurb site. Got the i7-2600, gt545, 1TB for $549 which I thought was a steal. Well that is until I just got in a 330W PSU, EVGA GTX660TI+ SC, Samsung 250gb SSD. So I'm right back up to the $1000 range with the upgrades. I have not installed the GPU or SSD yet, will be doing that tonight. Anything I have to be aware of with these upgrades?

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

OOps wrong thread please move to X51 thread.

Yikes, mine had an i7 3770 and a gtx660 and the 330w psufor $538! I added a Plextor 256 gig ssd and have been pretty thrilled with the performance. They were all over the friggin place with pricing during that discount period. Did you call or chat?

Congrats on the buy. That's a ton of hardware for the price.