No glossy display option?

MDX

Hey, I was considering one of the new alienware's to replace my XPS M1730 that just had the motherboard go out on it, but there doesn't seem to be a gossy display option! I've seen the new systems with matte screens and the screens look awful. Without a glossy option, I wouldn't buy one. Any idea on this?

MattyB

The 14 has no option for a glossy screen. I believe that the 3D screen for the 17 is glossy and the 18 screen is still glossy. I think they would be your options. I was a huge fan of the old screens (and I still am) but I love my new 14's screen. The sharpness of my M18x screen is beautiful though.

MDX

Thanks, I'll consider the 17 then. I've seen the 14 in person, hate the screen. :\

forJAT

I got to say I love my 17 no gloss screen. I all of my other rigs have been glossy. My 27 inch samsung is glossy and I am constantly tilting it. It just came natural to me prior to the new AW I guess. The 3d screen option I believe on the 17 is the maxed out configuration. The true life screen (non-anti glare) is standard/only option on the 18's.

MDX

It's all about preference - I've seen the new alienware screens in person (14 and 17) and the diffraction from the matte coating just ruins the image - compared to my XPS M1730, it's night and day. I'll have to pick up a used M14x if I decide to go the alienware route.

Sarah

I have a 17 with the 3D display and it is indeed glossy. It is a gorgeous screen - vibrant and very bright. Games and movies all look stunning on it IMO.

MDX

Yep, also a big fan of the gloss - I don't like the diffraction from matte coatings, it makes everything look muddled in comparison. I'll be looking into the M14Xr2 instead :)