test

Noctua fan, starting and stopping only in PWM

silky28

Hey All,

I replaced my cooler with a Dynatron K666 in push/pull. I used the fan which came with the cooler and a Noctua pwm fan. While the fan that came with the computer works perfectly in pwm the Noctua does not...it runs for 8 seconds, stops, runs for 8 seconds etc. etc. etc. If I run the Noctua in 3 pin it works fine and if I run it in PWM on my other computer it works fine. Do noctua fans not like the Alienware pwm?

long story short, why would a PWM fan work in one computers PWM port and not in the other when both PWM have been tested and work?

holeyguy66

they should work just fine. im gonna take a stab in the dark here as i dont have an x51 but did do a hefty bit of modding to an aurora. the delta fan i replaced had a temp prob built on the fan. maybe in the x51 it heavily relies on said prob and so with out it it might freak the ccc out and shut the leg down thinking there is a problem. ill do some google searching when i get a chance

silky28

Thanks for your effort though really, don't go out of your war. The problem in the link you posted is not the same. My fan spins at normal speed for about 8 seconds then stops dead. After a second or two it starts up, runs for 8 seconds then dies. It performs this loop continuously.

I tested the fan in another computer and it works perfectly. The problem, therefore, lies in the compatibility between the X51 and the fan. I contacted Noctua but they could only suggest I return it for a refund. It's not worth the time an effort to do that so I will just leave it in the other computer. Besides, I am getting pretty good temps with the new cpu-cooler and only the two fans on it - no other fans in the case.

silky28

ok, so I got it working using speed fan. I configured it to run off the GPU thermal sensor. I have it set to turn off below a GPU temp of 55* after which it runs at 30%. When temps hit 75* it bumps up to 50% and is set to go to 100% when GPU hits 82*....I don't think I've ever hit 82 so its just a fail safe, so to speak.

holeyguy66

thats great to hear. honestly i got to thinking noctuas run at a lower rpm then most fans that alienware used so its possible the ccc thought there was a problem. how ever id just set the fan at 100 all the time. i run all mine at full tilt 24/7 when gaming and its still whisper quite.