Noise level questions to Alienware R4/ALX owners

Cae

May 4, 2014
France
Hello Alienware Owners Club,

I was willing to get an Aurora case, and I have a few questions that you may be able to answer.

I was wondering if some Aurora models are more quiet ?
Can an Alienware Aurora be quiet (at startup then during gaming) ?
Does water cooling give some good improvement over noise level ?

I was also really interested to know the difference between "R4" and "ALX", as well as the real difference between this model (which is flat on the top)
desktop-alienware-aurora-hero-504x350.png

and this one ?
dell-alienware-aurora-7.jpg

It seems that they are both "R4".
Thanks!

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
there used to be differences between the 2. might still be. but when i got mine the alx platform was the one you got if you wanted the 6 core cpu i believe. now they offer both in an r4 and the alx has the added lighting in the front along with the fins. i could be wrong on the new r4 models. it seems you can opt for the extreme cpus in either chassis now. so really just the fins and added lighting. oh and the alx had the hdd cradles instead of the standard hdd bays. along with the alx having internal lighting. as far as noise goes they are both as loud as the other depending on your fan settings

Cae

May 4, 2014
France
I now see the difference. Thanks

So each Alienware model has the same noise level and there is no model that has notable issue with it ?
Does water cooling give an improved noise level or not that great ?

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
well the only thing liquid cooled is the cpu. so not really. if they did what i did in mine you could run the fans at a much lower speed when gaming or what ever else. although the radiator fan you dont control off the command center. the fans you will hear are the pci fan and hdd fan. the pci fan is a high performance high flow fan which at 100% pushs 110 cfm. and the hdd fan is kinda high flow. at an idle you would set the fans to run lower because you wouldnt need to pull alot of air in. if your gaming you need to set up the fans to be higher rpm to pull more air. honestly 1 good gpu and you could keep the fan moderately quite.