test

Noob needs help

Mooniechick

I have an Alienware x51 r2 and I'm looking to do some upgrades on it. Right now these are the specs:
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Intel Core i3-4130 cpu @3.40 ghz
Directx 12
Ram 6144
Video card of NVIDIA GeoForce 645
Sound of Realtek Digital Output

I'm wanting to upgrade the RAM, video card, all fans and/or liquid cooling.

I have no idea where to start and I'm hopping y'all will take pity on me and guide me to what I need.

MURRARI

I have an Alienware x51 r2 and I'm looking to do some upgrades on it. Right now these are the specs:
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Intel Core i3-4130 cpu @3.40 ghz
Directx 12
Ram 6144
Video card of NVIDIA GeoForce 645
Sound of Realtek Digital Output

I'm wanting to upgrade the RAM, video card, all fans and/or liquid cooling.

I have no idea where to start and I'm hopping y'all will take pity on me and guide me to what I need.

Sure thing, what is your budget?

Ifixedit

First get all the dust build up blown out of your case and fans, second get the thermal paste replaced on the CPU. Keeping your temps down is super important with such a small case. This not the best case to get for a "noob" to start doing mods in due to very little room for expansion, tight clearances and power restrictions but maybe the easiest and biggest bang for your buck would be upgrading the ram and video card.
Disclaimer- if you are not familiar with or comfortable working with the innards of a computer, you might want to get someone who is to do it for you, like I mentioned these x51's are not the best for beginners.
For the ram, after making sure the computer is fully powered down then power cord removed, remove the side cover (watch for a cable in one of the corners that you will have to disconnect), remove the memory sticks from the motherboard. figure out which one says 4 gigs on it and bring that one in to a computer store to get a compatible match. If your going to look up a match to buy online remember that any ram that says ecc or buffered will not work in your computer, if you are a "total noob" your probably better off with the computer store route. In any case, 8 gigs of ram should be enough for most games out there(if you really think you need more than 8 you could always replace the 2gb with an 8gb instead of 4gb, 4gb+8gb =12gb .
Now with the video card there are a few more details you have to share. Does your x51 r2 have a 180, 240 or 330 watt power supply? if you have the 240 or 330 you can upgrade to at least a GTX 1050 TI, although there are size restrictions, I believe it is something like 4.7 inches in height and about 9.5 inches in length(if I'm wrong, someone please correct me).
The one I settled on after a lot of research was this one
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137055&Tpk=N82E16814137055
There are youtube video's on how to upgrade a video card on a x51 so I'm not going to rehash all of that, but I've found that the card works very well in my r2 with the 240 watt power supply.
As for all fans or liquid cooling probably best to stick with stock. unless your going to start making holes in your case the stock stuff actually functions ok as long as it is kept clean and functional. I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on my CPU and if your stock video card was anything like mine, it only had a tiny little cooler on it. I'm getting ok temps without cutting any holes running an I5 4460 and the above mentioned GTX 1050 TI.
As for the liquid cooling I am in the process of trying to get a r3 liquid cooler working in my r2, (not because it needs it just that I came across the part) but I'm waiting on a part to complete that project. It's do-able the parts fit but barely, and I've even managed to keep my optical drive installed but it is a tight squeeze(side note: custom wiring is involved). I'll be posting something in here when I'm finished that project but needless to say that project is not for the inexperienced.
Anyway let us know how you make out.