Not booting after failed BIOS update

gradymcd

I have an aurora r4 that I got in December 2012. It has been working fine until I tried to update the BIOS from A06 to A09. I ran the exe and it almost finished. Then my computer froze (no task manager, could't move mouse, etc.) I left it on for an hour and it was still frozen. I decided to turn off my computer, so I held the power button until it shut off. Now I can't see anything on the monitor at all, not even the boot logo. I tried to enter the BIOS and no luck. I also tried resetting the BIOS both with the CMOS pins and removing the battery. I know that it is not a graphics card problem because my computer automatically logs in and starts team viewer with unattended access. I can't access team viewer. Does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it?
Thanks!

MattyB

That sucks. Sounds like a Dell fix would be the way to go. They will probably just swap the mobo out. I know you said it wasn't the GPU but maybe trying it in the second PCI port could help. Sometimes you need to upgrade your BIOS in stages ie A07 then A08 before going to A09. Not sure if this is the case with yours. I don't use an AW mobo in my ALX anymore.
When you tried resetting the CMOS pins, was that using the small bridging thing at the bottom of the motherboard?

gradymcd

I messed it up even more. I tried to reset the static charge, and now it instantly shuts down in 1-2 seconds. Anyway, I'm going to call dell tomorrow. My warranty ends the 29th. This is the bottom of my mobo: image.jpg

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I don't think I will be able to fix it. Is this a good motherboard for i7 with nvida GeForce? Don't exactly remember which version, but I know that the processor clocks to 4.1 ghz.

MattyB

Here is a link to the CMOS jumper location but it's probably the one you have already tried

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19463812.aspx

You can see it just to the right of the fan in your pic.

It looks like your jumper is already on pins 2-3 but it should be on 1-2 from what Dell say in that link.

Alienware mobos are usually pretty solid but with any electronics, they can have troubles. BIOS updates can be the trickiest. It's best not to update them unless you are having troubles or the update gives you something really good.

gradymcd

I was able to get it to stay on by moving cmos jumpers, but still no display.

Is there any way I could flash the bios?

MattyB

That's about all I know I'm sorry. I haven't had many mobo/BIOS issues in the past. Only once when I overclocked my CPU too much and I had to reset the jumper to get it going again.
I would try asking the guys at Tech|inferno. They seem pretty switched on with such things