Not your usual cpu overclock question.

Can an unlocked cpu be overclocked in the x51 using IXTU?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, I'm waiting for you to find out...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cq842000

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
So the transplant of my r2 into a HAF 915f went smashingly. I had some parts left over from a previous UBER rig I built back in 2010 that got some notoriety in benchmarks. I'll post my current specs below after my question for those that are curious.

My question is, if I upgrade my 4790 to a 4960X, is it possible to overclock using Intel XTU? Since the cpu has an unlocked multiplier I wouldnt even need to change the base clock.

My Alienator (lol)

Case: Coolermaster HAF 915f (mini ITX)
Mobo: Alienware x51 r2 mobo
RAM: 16GB DDDR3 /1600mhz @ 9-9-9-27-1T
CPU: Intel i7 4790 / Coolermaster Seidon 120v AIO (liquid cooling)
GPU: AMD R9 290 (R9 295x2 should be here tomorrow)
PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200w (old but still among the best)
Storage: 1TB Mushkin Reactor, 1TB Toshiba HDD, 320GB WD Black HDD

So there you have it, thats my Alienware x51 R2, and before a crowd of people start asking, yes it can almost play Solitaire at 4k.

A few kinks I need to work out like making an I/O shield from a blank, getting a right angled C19 extension for the PSU, and really digging into the cable management. I also plan to modify the looks of the case to bring it closer toward the Alienware look (think custom scooped vents and el wire accenting, and a nice colorshift paintjob). For right now though I'm curious if anyone has tried adjusting an unlocked cpu in their x51 just to see if it could be done without the locked bios becoming an issue.

BTW, I was able to get rid of the press f1 to continue error from not having a powerboard anymore. Just go into the bios, and switch over to the boot options tab, and change the halt for errors to ''none'', save and exit voila.

Last edited:

cq842000

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Alright, so I made some phone calls to some engineering departments, and it looks like I have the green light for overclocking with just the unlocked multiplier. My Devil's Canyon will be here today along with my EVGA Supernova G2 1300, which I'm only getting because it's FULLY modular unlike the Antec.

It really is looking like I'm going to have an AMD R9 290, and an Intel Core i7 4790 (non k) to get rid of in the near future. I wont be getting rid of my Antec tpq 1000 or 1200 though as they have been awesome power supplies (much better for a larger case like my MountainMods Ascension), and I may need a dual PSU setup again for another UBER rig build in the future.

cq842000

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Sorry to derail, but what's the point of putting the stuff in another case. To me, the whole point is the X51 case.

Hey I totally understand what you mean man, to each their own. For me it was about the brand, and the case does NOT make the brand, though I agree with you that its a beautiful small case.

I have some bad news, after speaking with Intel and Dell today, even though Dell supports the Core i7 4790K via bios microcode, they (Dell according to Intel) also locked the "unlocked cpu multiplier", which is the opposite direction that other mobo manufacturers with the h87 chipset have been moving. It's a shame really because I had big plans with the Alienware mobo, but it looks like Company policy decided for me. I understand warranty concerns but seeing as how I bought the i7 4790K outside of Dell and Dell doesn't offer the 4790K for the x52, if the CPU dies, it would be on me, not Dell. That's according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. A totally different experience than other "boutique" companies that advertise performance at a premium. I've been this route with other companies in the past and they were more than able to work with me, write and email me a custom bios that solve various problems. Needless to say I wont be wasting money on Alienware anymore as it just doesn't suit my goals anymore. So it looks like I'll be reassembling the X51 and putting it into storage and unfortunately I probably wont be active on these forums for a while.

Noah-kun

Jun 25, 2015
I definitely would not think of the mobo in the X51 being a strength or something I would envy in a full-sized desktop. It's a specialty board made for a very small, low-power device. Of all the components, that's the one I'd expect to have draw-backs, next to the power supply. It's also one of the cheaper parts of a computer, so again I don't see even a cost advantage to necromancing an X51 mobo into a full-size desktop.

It sounds like you're disappointed, so I would sleep on the decision about what to do next. You could reassemble the X51 and put it in storage, or sell the power supply and power board to finance getting a new mobo. I'm personally looking for those parts, so DM me and we can probably work out a price that buys you the full new mobo you need.

cq842000

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
I definitely would not think of the mobo in the X51 being a strength or something I would envy in a full-sized desktop. It's a specialty board made for a very small, low-power device. Of all the components, that's the one I'd expect to have draw-backs, next to the power supply. It's also one of the cheaper parts of a computer, so again I don't see even a cost advantage to necromancing an X51 mobo into a full-size desktop.

It sounds like you're disappointed, so I would sleep on the decision about what to do next. You could reassemble the X51 and put it in storage, or sell the power supply and power board to finance getting a new mobo. I'm personally looking for those parts, so DM me and we can probably work out a price that buys you the full new mobo you need.

See that's where we disagree, the only weakness of the mobo is the locked bios. It has PCIe 3.0, SATA 6gb, 2x sys fans (one 3 pin, one 4 pin) and a cpu fan (4 pin). The CPU power is a 4 pin EPS/ATX but that still gives up to 144 watts of potential for overclocking. The only downside is that the base clock cant be modified, but that's not a downside with an unlocked cpu multiplier. Again looking at my scores, the motherboard hardware isn't the issue in the slightest, only the bios.

If I sell it, it will be the whole system with an option to have either the r9 270 that it came with or the r9 290 that I used in the original case.

cq842000

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
This right here is the reason Dell should unlock the bios on a case by case basis for K series CPU owners. I would have loved to have put Alienware's name in the box and brought them some positive attention, but their customer service was a thick accented nightmare, and nobody there seemed to want to work with a customer that expressed a high level of ownership.

Interestingly enough, with the new motherboard and a very modest overclock (can hit 5ghz on stock voltage but I need to tweak for higher load levels), I was able to beat out my former UBER rig's non hybrid PhysX Vantage score which was no slouch at 50k. Another thing that gets me is that I read all these reviews that 4GB isn't enough for 4K gaming, and yet back in 2011 my UBER rig easily ran 5k x 1k (in 3x1 Eyefinity) with just 2GB per GPU and it had NO problems with maxing demanding games (except for when MSAA or SSAA was involved) and holding a playable framerate of 30-60+ fps. I know that moving forward, games are supposed to become more demanding, but how much more demanding can they be compared to Metro 2033, which still brings videocards to their knees even today?

Another thing I've noticed is that many reviewers mistake Vram Caching with consumption ) i.e. Game 0 shows 4.03GB of Vram when textures are maxed at 8k, yet I see almost nobody consider that Vram not paged/cached is Vram wasted by by an inefficient engine with a small address aware cache management algorithm.

Last edited: