Notebook Coolers

AeonSoul

So since I've got my m17x recently and summers here are somewhat very hot, I was thinking about purchasing a notepad cooler. Obviously I'd want something that can get its work done with my AW, and not just pretending to do it. As of now I'v got my eyes set either on a CM Storm Strike Force FS-19 or a friend advised me to get an Antec Notebook Cooler 200.
I total honesty I'm new on the laptop scene, so I don't really know what should I be looking for and what specs to make sure something like a notebook cooler has. Any of you could give me some advices or some other coolers to consider buying? Even better, any of you got any first hand experince with the two said above or something like that?

Appriciate that.

Dantheman221

You should try the coolermaster u3. Very nice since you can change the 3 fans position to anywhere :D 3 fans 1 for gpu, 1 for cpu and one for hdd location! ^^ Plus, it doesn't have any fancy leds. I dont really like that on coolers :) Also, its better to re-paste the thermal compound on any laptop. This will reduce temps on a major scale!

AeonSoul

You should try the coolermaster u3. Very nice since you can change the 3 fans position to anywhere :D 3 fans 1 for gpu, 1 for cpu and one for hdd location! ^^ Plus, it doesn't have any fancy leds. I dont really like that on coolers :) Also, its better to re-paste the thermal compound on any laptop. This will reduce temps on a major scale!
Yeah but I'm not good at doing that sort of stuff, I'm scared -as it probably will- that I will end up breaking something :p

xxdranenxxx

I have the CM u3 it's awesome I don't need it as the temps are fine I just like it and it was like 30 bucks so can't go wrong

AeonSoul

Well I'll try to explain my situation better :p
Here in Italy where I live, during summer we are around 35 C°, and in the hottest days we even go over 40 C°. So I need something that keeps my AW cool and avoids that my laptop turns into a very expensive paperweight :D

Ninja edit: truth be told I would have went for the Strike Force right away, but the thing that discourages me is that in all the reviews I've read, they say that at maximum fan speed it gets very loud. On the other hand the Antec one seems cool and all, tho the big vent makes me wonder, althrough people say that the bigger vent grants a better air flow, tho idk, it didn't really catched my eye D:
I also saw the Notepal U3, but somehow I'm not sure it will be able to keep up with the temps.

Last edited:

durbin209

Do you have a target? i have an M17 too, i got a 32 dollar 17" cooler. Its a nice cooler no lights or anything, 2 fans. You can also change it from 2 fans to 1 fan.

Dantheman221

Tell you what aeon soul, if I ever go to italy, I'd change your thermal paste personally! :D

AeonSoul

Do you have a target? i have an M17 too, i got a 32 dollar 17" cooler. Its a nice cooler no lights or anything, 2 fans. You can also change it from 2 fans to 1 fan.
Well as I said, the options are the ones I posted above. Just looking for viable suggestions.
If you meant budget instead, I'm inclined to spend up to 100 euros, give or take.

Tell you what aeon soul, if I ever go to italy, I'd change your thermal paste personally! :D
Aight I'll hold on to that :p

yikes81

The thing I find with notebook coolers is that they are all very chunky. It raises the laptop quite high from the desk. I suppose this will not be an issue if you plan to use an external mouse and keyboard.
For my purposes, I would be using the inbuilt keyboard, and an external mouse.
So I was looking at the Zalman NC-2000 black version: http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=280
Apparently this is pretty good. It seems to be made quite sturdy to also handle the weight of the M17x.

AeonSoul

Yep I'm using a wireless external mouse so that's not really a big deal.

AeonSoul

Oh well in the end I decided to buy a CM Storm Strike Force FS-19. I'll let you know my impressions when it gets here.

Checkmate

Another vote for the Cooler Master U3. :) I use a Cooler Master Notepal U3 and it has reduced my temps down by 6-7 degrees. I like the fact that the fans are moveable too. I can position the fans directly underneath each intake (CPU and GPU)at the bottom of the laptop.

Plus, the raised back angles the keyboard to be more ergonomic. The screen is raised to be closer to eye level too. Less tilting of the head to look down. :cool:

AeonSoul

Ok yesterday I finally got my CM Storme Strike Force F-19. The thing it's a friggin beast. It's true that with the fans at max speed it gets lound, but if you combine it with the already excellent AW dissipation system, you don't need to push the fans at max. So far I'm pleased, the only downside I can think of it's that it needs it's own power supply, so that kinda kills the portability.

belkin has some good coolers which suite well for the m11x, m14x and m17x all together
using mine since 4 months, got a revamped one with a usb 2.0 hub and a power adapter since I had extra power slots and didn't want to use up my laptop usb slots
you should check them out decent price and works well

Commy1

Tis unfortunate that someone had to die for me to get my hands on this laptop cooler. My girlfriends dad passed away and in his truck with his rig was a CoolMaster...

So with this I hope not to have many if any cooling problems until I have to repaste and upgrade.

yikes81

I ended up with the Coolermaster Notepal U3. Very happy with it.