Nvida GTX 970 980 are making Alienware X51 the BEST PC IN THE WORLD (LOL)

Nhirlathothep

I dont have an Alienware X51, but now i really want it!

The gtx 670 was a huge limit, but now X51 can handle a GTX 970 OC or a GTX 980 Default!

I really think this is the best gaming pc in the world NOW!

I have a top config Alienware Aurora ALX R4 (with 3970x !) and i was wondering about buyng the new Alienware Area 51, but i changed my mind NOW.

With the aggressive pricing the alienware X51 offers all that one gamer can want ATM at half price !

KillerBee33

Its not a fact yet :( but i got the R2 fully Loaded and this is Huge News.I hear the case has to be Modded just a little for the 980 to fit..Waitin on more Info

Nhirlathothep

Its not a fact yet :( but i got the R2 fully Loaded and this is Huge News.I hear the case has to be Modded just a little for the 980 to fit..Waitin on more Info

no man , it s a fact, they did it. GTX 970 fits without problem and can be overclocked too ( it remains under 330W!)

to fit the gtx 980 (EVGA 10.5") you need to remove one case fan or replace it with one thinner. ( for the 980 u have to decrease power limit from msi aftherburner)

KillerBee33

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications Thats 980
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications Thats 970

Not sure about decreasing Power i got 760Ti 2Gb
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760ti-oem/specifications BY THE BOOK it eats more Power than any of those 2 ...
But im glad PPL are supportive here New Borderlands comes out in less than a month i wanna Game it in FULL ;)

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Also i cant seem to find a 9.5 inch 970 as u posted im in US and it looks like things are generally getting BIGGER here hehe ;)

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Nevermind 970's showed up on NewEgg for 350$ 9.5 inches

Xentago

Hi guys. I was just wondering. Do you think the GTX 970 can run in the X51 R1? I kinda waited for this. It'll be a huge upgrade but I'm not sure if the current mobo can accept the 900 series, not alone can fit in it.

KillerBee33

Ill just wait till this blows over.Im not a big fan of sending stuff back if it was my fault not researching for the right Thing. My guess is , if u didnt Modd anythin to upgrade your PSU then yes your MOBO should handle it. After all aside the size problem the PSU is the biggest concern here. MSI or EVGA 970's look like the right size and Specs on Paper ;). Myself am no financially ready to perform tests :( so just waiting for some feedback on the matter.

vipasoft

Just how vital is the front fan anyway. I've read that quite a few people are removing it because of fitting a larger GFX card. If I wanted to fit a larger GFX card, could I just remove the fan completely and not have to worry.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KillerBee33

Yeah thats what i'll be aiming at , the 980. But in my case Crysis 3 is at 83-84 Degrees . i take an extra Fan out this might be Fatal ;) and thats with 760ti

I see You

Yeah thats what i'll be aiming at , the 980. But in my case Crysis 3 is at 83-84 Degrees . i take an extra Fan out this might be Fatal ;) and thats with 760ti

yup and is exactly how i got myself in trouble when i went to higher power video cards in the x51 and this is wso why i went threw to 330 watt PSU and finally when the last one took out my power board i said the hell with the x51 money pit and gutted it and put a nice PSU to it and now i can run any card i feel like running in it without issues. I think we all seriously ask way to much of this little PC heat in the end will also kill it in the long run, if you want to run high power cards build a new pc or gut it. I don't care how well it handles power in the end you will kill it.

mf9

The guy in the video below is running an X51 with a 970 GTX, I'm still intrigued as to whether the 980 GTX will fit and run in it though. I can't see how you can replace that lower fan in the X51 with s slimmer model ( anyone have a link to a replacement? ), what effect though would it have if you removed it?

http://youtu.be/iMZz5pH1gpM

2002whitegt

I took the fan out a few days ago in anticipation of my 980 arriving, and my temperature has not changed at all. The best thing I did to stop overheating with my 670 is to use MSI Afterburner or another similar program to create a custom fan profile.

Without a fan profile, my card would get into the upper 80's low 90's, but now it sits between 73-76 degrees on the most intense games and benchmarks, card does get loud (think original xbox 360).

On most older games or non-demanding games like Fable Anniversary I topped out at 58 degrees after 4 hours of gameplay with v-sync on.

This guy's channel helped me out a lot on setting up a fan profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQh7e-5meM&list=UUwnJ49ZQqevasVTSscoE5Bg

The guy in the video below is running an X51 with a 970 GTX, I'm still intrigued as to whether the 980 GTX will fit and run in it though. I can't see how you can replace that lower fan in the X51 with s slimmer model ( anyone have a link to a replacement? ), what effect though would it have if you removed it?

The existing fan is 20mm thick, you can replace it with a 10mm thick one and still fit a 10.5" long gpu. If you decide to replace the fan, a fan with 4 pins (wires) would be better that one with 3 pins, since the 3 pin fan would be running at full speed all the time, and would be really loud.

Last edited:

Nhirlathothep

yup and is exactly how i got myself in trouble when i went to higher power video cards in the x51 and this is wso why i went threw to 330 watt PSU and finally when the last one took out my power board i said the hell with the x51 money pit and gutted it and put a nice PSU to it and now i can run any card i feel like running in it without issues. I think we all seriously ask way to much of this little PC heat in the end will also kill it in the long run, if you want to run high power cards build a new pc or gut it. I don't care how well it handles power in the end you will kill it.

temps are going to be lower with gtx 970, with 980 dunno

KillerBee33

Ok GPU Boss reported few numbers and it looks like its not a BIG step up in my case 760ti(OEM) 2gb vs 970 4gb but over all it might be worth the 350$ nVidia is asking for it(after all its a NEW Chip)...im still thinking 980 but there are no reports on that yet...This is what im looking at if i spend 350$ http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-670 dont mind the 670 its the same card as mine 760ti

Last edited:

Nhirlathothep

i think gtx 970 it s perfect for X51, u can use it at full performance without problems,

gtx 980 it s a little too power hungry to use at full power, and u have to decrease power limit. I dont like use an expensive gpu not at his full potential.

my advice is to take a 970 and overclock it. Less money, more fun, no fan removing, no power troubles and similar performance to the 980 power limited

mf9

i think gtx 970 it s perfect for X51, u can use it at full performance without problems,

gtx 980 it s a little too power hungry to use at full power, and u have to decrease power limit. I dont like use an expensive gpu not at his full potential.

my advice is to take a 970 and overclock it. Less money, more fun, no fan removing, no power troubles and similar performance to the 980 power limited

Where did you get the information about the 980 not being able to run on max power from ?

KillerBee33

but Stock 980 uses less power....!!! 165 over my 170''''http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760ti-oem/specifications'''' I was thinking of taking the DVD drive out for more Ventilation and taking that little fan out to fit the 980 . After all this may be my only chance to upgrade GPU

2002whitegt

If you get the reference (stock) gtx 980 you won't need to mess with it at all, it only uses 165w compared to my gtx 670.

The reason the poster above lowered the power was because he bought the superclocked version, he also mentioned that at the core clock he is running it, it still running faster than a stock 980, he also posted on neogaf that he has a ssd in his setup.

Tuesday I get my card, so I will update with first hand info.

2002whitegt

What are you planing on the PCI Fan? remove or get it 10mm smaller?

I've removed the fan on Thursday night, and have been running my setup (i7-4770, GTX 670, 8gb ram) without it since then, haven't noticed a difference in performance honestly.

I'm planning on leaving it off with the new card, and see how it goes, if needed I'll need to find a thinner fan.

KillerBee33

I also have SSD bottom and HDD on top factory setup..but i dont think its bringin much more heat...try runin Crysis 3 on full load, mine runs 82.85 degrees