Nvidia 750 Ti in X51 R1

sjbezanson

Feb 26, 2014
Canada
Alright so where do I start...

I own an X51 R1 - one of the first release X51's with an i7 2600 and a GTX 555 OEM Card. I'm starting to notice FPS lag in newer games, which can only mean one thing... my GPU just can't handle some of the more strict requirements on new games and is starting to fall behind the times!

I've seen some pretty cool threads with some major graphics card upgrades inside this little box using the adapter plate that comes with the case.

Nvidia has released the GTX 750 Ti Maxwell GPU - which comes with a minimum 300W PSU requirement (my external is a 330W PSU for my R1). However, the EVGA cards for sale say they require a 400W PSU minimum with 20 Amps on the rail. (seen here: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025) and this card takes its power right through the rail.

So here are my questions:

Will the 330W External PSU handle this card?
Will the dimensions fit?
Will the case adapter that turns the GPU sideways deliver the power required to this card (since that's where the power comes from)
Has anyone tried this yet?

Please advise.

mf9

Oct 19, 2013
London
You'll be fine running the 750ti on a 330w PSU. I run my 760 GTX on the same and Nvidia say a minimum of 500w. Someone else on this forum said they run a 680 and according to Nvidia's website that requires a minimum of 550w.

Hi guys,

I just got the EVGA 750ti FTW for my R1 X51.....I cannot get it to work properly. It randomly crashes anywhere from one minute to 3 hours into a game or benchmark. If anyone could give me any help that would be amazing because I am currently driving myself insane!

I have tried all the usual things, cleared all drivers and reinstalled, checked the cables, reseated the card and so far I am not having any joy.

sjbezanson

Feb 26, 2014
Canada
Yeah the EVGA cards that are marked as "Superclocked" say they require a minimum 400W PSU most likely for the cooler that they installed on it.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I would shoot a message to acarlton since he basically has the same card, he said he didn't have any problems with it in his system... I wonder what the difference is.

The only difference I can tell between the FTW is the FTW model has a 6 pin power connector. The FTW can be overclocked higher because of the power connector. At stock their almost clocked the same, EVGA SC is clocked at 1176Mhz with a boost of 1255Mhz. The FTW model is clocked at 1189Mhz with a boost of 1268Mhz. We're talking a difference of 13Mhz, so it shouldn't make that big of a difference. My EVGA 750 Ti SC is powered strictly through the pci slot, so its TDP is only 60W. The FTW's TDP is 85W. Based on those numbers it still does not explain why you were having trouble running your card at its stock settings.

Thanks for the input guys!

I have been doing tests and stuff, its currently underclocked by 20mhz from stock settings and seems to be running absolutely great. I will be continuing to play around with the settings over the coming days to see if I can get a more clear answer as to why it was crashing.

I have the EVGA 750 ti SC as well. I'm wondering if mine is faulty as well. When I power on, I see the alien head logo screen where you can hit F2 or F12 for options. It gives me three slow beeps (beep, 10 seconds, beep, etc). Then the screen goes dark.

If I put in the original card, or if I take out the card and go off the on-board HDMI port, I'm fine.

Shoulda gotten the Zotec one, since sjbezanson's thread is what inspired me to get this card in the first place...