Oc 4.6 fan mod...

Playtime747

Apr 16, 2014
FLA
Have my stock Aurora R4 OC TO 4.6 and my temps with the stock cooler was hitting 71C in prime95 and staying at 31C @ idle. I decided to add a Antec 120mm 3 speed fan as a pusher fan and now temps hit 60C and 25C @ idle. Here's a few pics...
cooling mod aurora 001.jpgcooling mod aurora 007.jpg:cool:

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
that helps alot. me and a buddy did this. thats a pretty nice drop in temps. and i wish they would have offered a bigger radiator for the r3s like they do now. but i thought they locked the bios completely in the newer models. are did they only do it for the non-alx platform

Playtime747

Apr 16, 2014
FLA
Holyguy66, Mine is the non AlX and it took a couple days figuring it out in this bios. Normally I build my own computers and was going to replace the MB with a Asus until I figured it out. Here is what I posted in the Alien Mothership thread.
"Woo hoo!!! "solved" vcore in aurora r4 a10 bios"
"This has been fun figuring out.. I am use to building my own systems and this is my first pre built. Anyway, trying to figure out how to up the VCORE in the bios has been a serious mystery. Have looked on-line for 4 days and have found nothing other than the default OC from Alienware. I wanted to share with my fellow gold and platinum members first. First: CPUZ is not reading the vcore correctly. It is reading mine @ 1.376V which is way off. I am using HWINFO64 v4.36-2150 which seems to be reading correctly. As of right now I am running @ 4.5 stable with a vcore of 1.271. Max temps are 65C under load. Time to get on ebay and buy a corsair cooler. I was ready to thro down 330 bucks for the Gene MB and want need to now...".
" For those interested in getting the vcore up, go into the bios and use "VID Override For Max Turbo Ratio" and slowly raise the number. Under the default overclock profile 2, it is set @ 16. I have slowly raised and now up to 30 with a vcore of 1.310. I hope it will keep going up to at least 1.350. If not, I will just lock it down @ 4.5."
"UPDATE!!!! I have managed to get 1.40V vcore out of the factory MB and now clocked @ 4.6 stable. Running prime95 for 2 hours my max temp was 71C with the default cooler."

I think I can get 4.7 with a better cooler. I have a Corsair H100 that I have thought about putting in the case that should keep it plenty cool. Just seems like a ton of work for extra 100mhz. For now, Think I will nail it down and save the H100 after the warranty runs out next year... Here is a few pics prior to the extra fan...

aurora r4 008.jpgaurora r4 014.jpgaurora r4 017.jpg

Last edited:

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
nice man. i havent donated yet so i cant see the mothership thread. i should donate already but havent. i was like you. ive built a few but always wanted an alienware since 2000. and i got one. i was planning on doing a custom liquid loop when warrenty ran out but when i went eyefinity. i kinda had to do that sooner. my 6850s was boiling hot. then my warrenty went out found out the 3770k wasnt gonna work in my factory mobo. so i swapped out the mobo with the maximus v gene and my first titan. check the thread out if you havent already. ive done some work to this beast

pex

Feb 18, 2014
USA
Playtime747,

First, thanks for the information about the "VID Override For Max Turbo Ratio" setting. I've only done a little bit of testing, but I can now get past 4.4 GHz.

CPUZ is not reading the vcore correctly. It is reading mine @ 1.376V which is way off.

Here's a screen grab of HWiNFO64 that I took while running a benchmark test in XTU. I changed the "VID Override..." setting from 0 to 70:

Vcore01.jpg

Near the top, I highlighted the four Core VIDs, all showing an increased max voltage of 1.466. But if you look at the highlighted row near the bottom, you'll see that the max Vcore value is still 1.376. In other words, raising the VID Override setting had no effect on the Vcore value.

So, at least on my PC, it looks like CPUZ is giving an accurate reading. Are you seeing the same thing?

Playtime747

Apr 16, 2014
FLA
WOW!!! 1.466V. I haven't pushed mine that high yet because of temps. The top numbers are the ones to look at.
VCORE1.jpgvcore load.jpg
Mine before I started was 1.221V and would crash going into windows at 4.4. It took 2 days of testing until I figured this out. I noticed Alienware upped the "VID Override" in their stock overclock. I checked the V in HWiNFO64 before I started and would log them every time I would up the "VID Override" by 2. The CPU temps also were getting higher with the upped V which was verification I was getting more V to the CPU. This was just upping V and no overclocking. Once that verified then I started pushing the FSB up. What was interesting is CPUZ was not reading the V right and staying the same. When I OC on a new system I never shoot for the highest V. I will raise the V by .05 and then keep bumping the FSB up until it crashes or want boot into windows. My temps "under load" are the main factor of how high I push the V up. I have decided to lock mine down where it is because of the factory cooler. The Voltage regulators should be fine with the heatsink fan combo on the factory MB. Glad I could help!!! :cool:

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

ive got a second in it now but ek packaged my backplate wrong and i got a 290xbackplate so im still waiting to liquid cool the second card. they are monsters man.
That sux about the backplate. I feel your pain bro!!!! I hate doing things twice. I was going to get another 780 for mine but I don't trust this power supply from Dell to handle the load especially OC'ing. I ordered 2 SSD instead. Just finished putting them in this afternoon and all I can say is WOW!!!! I have owned a few but, these Samsung 840 Pro's rock. Here is my score with just one drive and it is half full and my C: drive...
View attachment 1321

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
good thing is ive been waiting for the backplate to install my water block. so i didnt have to do it twice. im sure the 875 watt psu can handle it. ive got a little more of a draw on mine. i havent tried since i quit turning the case fans up. i think the power they draw at the speed i have to run them to cool my second card along with 3 other fans and a pretty narlly pump is the problem. runing my 4.6 and just the cards at the overvolted kboost i dont have any issues. ssd's are nice man i had an ocz vertex 2 in mine. the boot up speed was just insane. let me know how those samsung ssd's are. ive been thinking about buying one.

Playtime747

Apr 16, 2014
FLA
Here is what my Samsung is getting. It's my C: drive and about 50% full and it is fast.
$T2eC16V,!)UE9s3wCOt9BRDG8gl,f!~~60_12.jpgsamsungssd.jpg
I have a OCZ Vertex 4 in my old system and it has been going strong for over 2 years... I install windows on one SSD and install my games on the second one and have a 2TB for older stuff that's not so HD intensive.

Playtime747

Apr 16, 2014
FLA
6TB should be plenty of room for games and files. Damn movies are what eat up all my space on the server. I remember when I would brag to my buddy about having a 600MB HD...LOL I would go bigger than the 128 and get at least a 256GB. The mem chips are a little faster. I bought these cheap on ebay. I play a ton of older games with my son over the network and have a dedicated server to store all my old games and files. I had him playing Quake 3 when he was like 5 and now he is 15...lol Time for me to get out of here bro!!!!! :)

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
lol man i remember those days. we had a gateway with a 1 gig hdd and thought if you use up that much space your doing soemthing wrong. now games are like 30 gigs alone. nab ny first pc was a packard bell. with a 25mhz intel 125mb of ram, and games in the mb file sizes. lol the good ole days