Ok for new owners of a 17 ....

forJAT

or any AW with swappable graphics cards

I did not know this (this is my first AW) but I could not launch a few games and some times I would get stutter steps in periodic spurts ... Also games would auto default to the lowest settings and I would have to manually set them to high ...

well /facepalm ... it seems, well no seems about it, I was running the Intel 4500 on chip graphics /doubleface palm.

For those who did not know you have to hit FN + F5 to swap the video cards. you will be asked to reboot but then all should be good .. no more stuttering , no more games automating to the lowest setting and not that the onboard/onchip video card is bad .. I have had my computer going on 4 days with very minimal use but that card was able to run Eurotruck Sim 2, Firefall, Defiance, Borderlands 2 and a few others on HIGH with no problem however that card would not allow me to run Deadisland ..

I was going crazy I was running all the test beta system specs, disabling the Intel hardware and other things but could not get the Nvidia GPU to pull up but found it online after looking at a Dead Island forum ... FN + F5

Anyways that the lesson of the day :) :)

MattyB

You must have Windows 8. Unfortunately it looks as though W8 has no Optimus support so you have to manually switch between your graphics. I have to do the same on my 14. You will have to do this to update your drivers too. You can't install your Intel HD driver when the Nvidia card is enabled. I think it works the other way too. Haven't checked. It's the same as my M18x R2.

forJAT

Thanks Matty good to know, although I don't see the need to update the on chip gpu drivers (unless I am missing something) but yes I do have win8 pro running on this box. I haven't seen anything compelling to make me want to install W7ult on it. I have read a lot of complaints but I have not encountered anything that was not something I could work around with.

I was really concerned with compatibility, but everything is working great. Even programs that states should not work on W8 works.

I will say that I was somewhat surprised with the quality of the intel 4500 on the games I played with it.