Old Alienware Desktop

vromiken

Hey there, new to the forums!

Long story short I remember seeing the Area 51 and MJ12 (Dragon ATX style) desktops in magazines when I was younger and always wanting one...

I came across an Area 51 in black (I think at least) a year or so ago and most everything seems to be in working order.

I was wondering if someone might know a few things about the system to maybe figure out what the specs should have been from Alienware when it was new. There are a few things with the machine that make me think things were updated at some point. I work in media and was about to reach out to someone with Dell who had worked at the original Alienware office, and unfortunately they have deleted all of their archives for the old systems. :(

So, the numbers on the system are: Alienware DX-02WS-FD and has a support ID of 620003.

The specs are:

Abit AS8 / AS8-V Intel i865 MOBO (I don't think it is factory since AW usually used Intel boards?)
Intel P4 530 Prescott 755LGA 3.00Ghz
2GB ram
Nividia Geforce 3 (NV20) 64MB
60GB Main system HD
Soundblaster Audigy 2 with breakout bay (When I got the desktop it didn't have an audigy 2 in it, it does now, which matches the breakout bay that was still in it)

So as I have said, this is a big nostalgia thing for me, I think I would like to put the system as back to stock as possible (within reason, I have a SATA 1TB drive for games in it).

I have found old magazine archives with system specs in them, I am hoping someone might be able to confirm which model it is so I could have somewhere to start!

Here are some pictures, the dirty ones were pre-cleaning, someone had it in their garage: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JJAhZ1_r0igRWWOvRPJHbSBukQFlp8lM?usp=sharing

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

-V

inphoenix

mbs.jpgHi guys. Please don't make fun of me since i' am old and this is my first post. Well in response to vromiken i hope it helps to show you what MOBO came in my system. I still have all the components from this machine since i got it new in 2003 i think. I have the AGP ATI GPU the Intel P4 3.2 Gigs Proc. L775 the MSI MOBO 4 Corsair Platinum half a Gig each. a stock pile of small fans from Turbo Cool an MSI CPU cooler the MSI PSU 400 W. 2 Western Digital 120 Gigs. and i would need to look in my attic for the rest of the components. Only thing in use today is the case. Lets say that what is in it now will match the components of this machine when it was custom built by the guys at Alienware. Yep. is old.

vromiken

Thanks for the reply! Sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to you.

It seems like maybe they put in different boards at some point instead of always going with Intel based mobos.

Would you happen to have any of the software/documentation that came with it when you bought it? Any pictures would be amazing, and would you want to part with the old hardware and/or any old documentation that came with it?

Thanks!

-V

View attachment 2955Hi guys. Please don't make fun of me since i' am old and this is my first post. Well in response to vromiken i hope it helps to show you what MOBO came in my system. I still have all the components from this machine since i got it new in 2003 i think. I have the AGP ATI GPU the Intel P4 3.2 Gigs Proc. L775 the MSI MOBO 4 Corsair Platinum half a Gig each. a stock pile of small fans from Turbo Cool an MSI CPU cooler the MSI PSU 400 W. 2 Western Digital 120 Gigs. and i would need to look in my attic for the rest of the components. Only thing in use today is the case. Lets say that what is in it now will match the components of this machine when it was custom built by the guys at Alienware. Yep. is old.

inphoenix

I have the original 2 Gigs of ram {Time Capsule} that came with it, (4- 500 Mbs. Sticks of Corsair Platinum DDR), MSI 5950 AGP Graphs card, MSI 600 W. PSU. MSI 875 Neo Platinum Motherboard. 6 Turbo Cool fans. The Scorpions where the only thing the cops kept when long ago they seized the computer. None of these parts are in the machine now. But i still have them. Here is a pic of when i was re-building the computer
aw.jpgIf you gonna put those parts to work.. Why kept them in my storage?

Allen25151

Hey there, new to the forums!

Long story short I remember seeing the Area 51 and MJ12 (Dragon ATX style) desktops in magazines when I was younger and always wanting one...

I came across an Area 51 in black (I think at least) a year or so ago and most everything seems to be in working order.

I was wondering if someone might know a few things about the system to maybe figure out what the specs should have been from Alienware when it was new. There are a few things with the machine that make me think things were updated at some point. I work in media and was about to reach out to someone with Dell who had worked at the original Alienware office, and unfortunately they have deleted all of their archives for the old systems. :(

So, the numbers on the system are: Alienware DX-02WS-FD and has a support ID of 620003.

The specs are:

Abit AS8 / AS8-V Intel i865 MOBO (I don't think it is factory since AW usually used Intel boards?)
Intel P4 530 Prescott 755LGA 3.00Ghz
2GB ram
Nividia Geforce 3 (NV20) 64MB
60GB Main system HD
Soundblaster Audigy 2 with breakout bay (When I got the desktop it didn't have an audigy 2 in it, it does now, which matches the breakout bay that was still in it)

So as I have said, this is a big nostalgia thing for me, I think I would like to put the system as back to stock as possible (within reason, I have a SATA 1TB drive for games in it).

I have found old magazine archives with system specs in them, I am hoping someone might be able to confirm which model it is so I could have somewhere to start!

Here are some pictures, the dirty ones were pre-cleaning, someone had it in their garage: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JJAhZ1_r0igRWWOvRPJHbSBukQFlp8lM?usp=sharing

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

-V
Hi, I have the same models in black and other colors. I saved information and photos over time. I have been away and just returned home. Can share some info and photos later. 103_0870.JPG103_0874.JPG103_0879.JPG103_0416.JPG103_0426.JPG103_0436.JPG103_0438 - Copy.JPGs-l1600 (5).jpg

Greeny173

I purchased a Black Area 51 Full Tower PC in 2003 from the original Alienware company. Installed was the following: Intel D875PBZ motherboard, Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ CPU, 256MB DDR PC3200 memory, Seagate Barracuda 80GB hard drive, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB Video card, 6X DVD-ROM, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2.6.1 Sound card, 1.44MB floppy drive, 420 Watt power supply, Alienice Red intake fans, Windows XP Home.

leenie

Hi, I have the same models in black and other colors. I saved information and photos over time. I have been away and just returned home. Can share some info and photos later. View attachment 2978View attachment 2979View attachment 2980View attachment 2981View attachment 2982View attachment 2983View attachment 2984View attachment 2985
Maybe you can help me identify my old Alienware pc inherited from my nephew. I am looking for original documentation.
The stickers with all the info are long gone.

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_124935.jpg
    IMG_20210321_124935.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5

Allen25151

Hi. That one is a P-1 model. They don't have a service tag # for the Dell database for reference. The Model tag on the rear was the build and customer number. There were many options for the assembly. Just have to look over the components and make a list of the various items. Then look them up on google. Photos of the Motherboard, Ram, cooler, power supply, hard drives, fans. That will show if are original items or what has been changed. Need to see case rear and side photos then of the motherboard, hard drives, fans. There is case version v1 and v2 with a rear fan change and hard drive bay type. If Motherboard is out the case date ink stamp (behind MB area) shows the date of case manufacture. Need some photos.

leenie

Thank you! I need to clean it. Requested pics attached. The ram has three matched and one Crucial, all 2 GB ea. Hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 80 Gb.

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_132205.jpg
    IMG_20210321_132205.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210321_132352.jpg
    IMG_20210321_132352.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210321_132415.jpg
    IMG_20210321_132415.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210321_141005.jpg
    IMG_20210321_141005.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 5

Allen25151

Early version v1 with drive cages and dual rear 80mm fans. USB feeds outside of case rear. M2N Motherboard may be a replacement. 80 GB hard drives typical and should have dates on them. Ram likely replacements. Power supply OEM should be a date on the label. Guess is a 2003 case and a newer motherboard. The rear tag # and model option like Area 51 or Aurora should be on that tag.

leenie

Early version v1 with drive cages and dual rear 80mm fans. USB feeds outside of case rear. M2N Motherboard may be a replacement. 80 GB hard drives typical and should have dates on them. Ram likely replacements. Power supply OEM should be a date on the label. Guess is a 2003 case and a newer motherboard. The rear tag # and model option like Area 51 or Aurora should be on that tag.
Thank you sir. I tore it down yesterday and thoroughly cleaned the poor thing. It has an AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor. As far as I can tell, the only original parts may be a couple of fans and the psu. I am scared to use psu because it is making a high pitched whine. I suspect the graphics card is gone. It will run fine with Linux on it (once I can boot it). At least it will still look cool. :D

leenie

Motherboard is M2N-SLI, not the deluxe. Nephew must not have known about the graphics card requirement, and ran it that way. I had to replace the power supply. I needed a 500 watt psu for graphics card. Original psu was 420 watt. CPU listed above, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4600+. Graphics card, Diamond ATI Radeon HD 5670 - graphics card 1 GB. I have Linux on it and it is running very nice. Bios is slow to post, about 30 seconds.

Allen25151

Here are a couple of links. I think a 965 is good. It seems that the AMD Phenom II X4 945 is the best CPU officially supported by ASUS, as shown here: (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M2NSLI_Deluxe/HelpDesk_CPU/) but I have read other forums of people putting in a 955, 965, 970, 975, or even a 980 in this motherboard. Would these higher 900 series CPUs work? I have read that they will need the help of other programs like M2N Tweaker (found here: overclock.net/t/366989/official-asus-m2n-sli-and-m2n32-sli-club/10510). Will they work with this program? https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2N-SLI.html

Allen25151

Looks a 85-watt CPU limit but not sure. The 845 CPU maybe it or 4850. I have some of those boards but are put away for now.