test

Ordering a Alienware 14 Laptop

cameronpalte

I had had my Alienware M14x for 2.5 months when it had the problem of not recognizing the AC adapter, a problem which seems to be a known one based on my research. Since I had ordered it from Costco and had a 90 day warranty, I decided to return it and just go with the latest Alienware.

The problem with the adapter arose when I flash updated my BIOS and now I have learned not to update your BIOS unless you are experiencing an actual computer.

Here are the specs of the new unit I will be ordering: (I was going to go with the $1749.00 base until I realized it was just the $1349.00 base updated to $1599.00 and then you were paying $150 for the Broadcom vs Killer network chip and an updated CD Drive... no thank you:)).

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit English (not a big fan of Windows 8)
14" WLED FHD (1920*1080) Anti-Glare Display (finally, I got tired of the glossy display quite quickly)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
750gb 7200rpm SATA 3gb/s
Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M with 2gb GDDR5
Slot-Loaded Dual Layer Blu-Ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD/RW, CD-RW)
Silver-Anodized Aluminum (looks sick!)
Killer NIC 1202 802.11n Wifi and Bluetooth 4.0 (looks like Apple made a product that increases your wifi or something for $200, anyone know if its worth it?)
No Anti-Virus Requested
6-cell Lithium Ion 69wHr
1 Year Alienware Basic Support

All in all, this is a significant upgrade from my Lenovo R400 with a Pentium Processor and 2GB of ram with a 256gb hard-drive and a 1200*800 display I believe (or similar).

Total Price: $1599.00

I'm really looking forward to this:)

MattyB

I don't think the Killer is really worth it for most people. Things like that are easily upgraded later anyway. I would also suggest to just go with 8GB ram if you are able to. It will save cash and again it can be upgraded later very cheaply too.

Enjoy your new machine. I am thinking about getting the 14 but it just looks so thick! I need to see one up close.

cameronpalte

I don't think the Killer is really worth it for most people. Things like that are easily upgraded later anyway. I would also suggest to just go with 8GB ram if you are able to. It will save cash and again it can be upgraded later very cheaply too.

Enjoy your new machine. I am thinking about getting the 14 but it just looks so thick! I need to see one up close.

The Killer was the standard, I didn't upgrade it at all:). I am considering going with 8gb still:). Thanks, I'll be sure to enjoy it ;) They are kinda thick at 1.5", the simplest way is just getting a book or measuring a ruler at 1.5" (depends how visual you are) and that's a good demonstration of how thick they are. If you hate thickness a fully upgraded mac book pro is descent but its way more expensive and doesn't have the cooling. I think your m18x is 2" so its 3/4 as thick as that.

MattyB

I'm happy with the M18x's thickness since it's such a beast but for a 14 incher to be so thick seems odd to me. They have built them to be tanks deliberately though. I know I'm going to get one anyway. I'm just trying to talk myself out of it! :D

MattyB

They won't be available here for a few more weeks so it will probably be 5 weeks at least till I get one.

MattyB

Hmmmm. Not a bad idea..... ;) the pricing here is going to be a killer

Dj852

Re-Processsed my order today and i was expedited so I was guaranteed that I would receive my order within one month from today!

yikes81

I was tossing up between the Razer blade 14 and the M14x. But the HD IPS screen is what is hooking me in. But the Razer blade is just too thin. Arg the dilemma!!

Tapatalk'n on the Galaxy S4

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I was tossing up between the Razer blade 14 and the M14x. But the HD IPS screen is what is hooking me in. But the Razer blade is just too thin. Arg the dilemma!!

IPS screens are nice. I'm pro IPS. ;)

MattyB

I have been contemplating the Razer too unfortunately. I have to hit myself in the head when I start to think about it. How dare I?!!

cameronpalte

I thought about the razor blade some but the hard drive space is just to small for me. The only way it would be suitable is if I got the 512gb (I guess I could live with the 256gb & and external) but at $2000 for the 256gb its out of my budget. My alienware will have 8gb more of ram, a better display, larger harddrive (not SSD) and be $1600.

yikes81

I thought about the razor blade some but the hard drive space is just to small for me. The only way it would be suitable is if I got the 512gb (I guess I could live with the 256gb & and external) but at $2000 for the 256gb its out of my budget. My alienware will have 8gb more of ram, a better display, larger harddrive (not SSD) and be $1600.

Yes there is aso that. Considering the size of the Blade, no moving parts is a big attraction .....

cameronpalte

Yes there is aso that. Considering the size of the Blade, no moving parts is a big attraction .....

No moving parts is another attraction but they are all wiped out when I find out that I'll be stuck with a 128gb harddrive. And since anything above that is out of my price range, I can't get it. If they were to take the 128gb drive and replace it with a 750gb 7200rpm (which price wise they are actually pretty similar), I would jump on it in no time:).

yikes81

Are the SSD drives smaller than disc drives?

yikes81

Oh by disc drive I was meaning a normal HDD.