test

overclocking 4930mx

Sleepy

Im interested to know and hear from any one who has the new i7 4930mx cpu's , how are they at overclocking compared to the older i7 3940mx ?

Iv read that they run much hotter that 3rd gen cpu , making it not possible to overclock them as far as the 3rd gen ?

can any of you tell me if this is true ? or do any of you have some stats on this subject ?

Thanks

Jtravapd

Im interested to know and hear from any one who has the new i7 4930mx cpu's , how are they at overclocking compared to the older i7 3940mx ?

Iv read that they run much hotter that 3rd gen cpu , making it not possible to overclock them as far as the 3rd gen ?

can any of you tell me if this is true ? or do any of you have some stats on this subject ?

Thanks

I can't speak for the older CPU's because i never had one. i can only say i am running mine with a 43X mulitplyer at 4.3ghz with no problems. I have nothing to compare it to . my desktop pc was a i7 990X which is on water so again can't compare it . I can say that the haswell CPU while only being a quad core for some reason scored higher in some benchmarks then the 6 core i7 990X did.

As for overclocking to the MAX, i would think lack of available power would be the issue before heat is. THis is MR. FOX's area, he can speak better on the matter.

Mr. Fox

Alienware is going to need to release a BIOS update for the 17 and 18 to correct some power settings that are not right. They are working on it. I have had the 4930MX overclocked to 4.8GHz stable in the Alienware 18 and it's as much of a beast CPU as all other i7 Extreme CPUs have been in the past. It's not possible to overclock that high with the current BIOS, so hang tight and we will see some phenomenal results when they have it sorted.

sparkeyrr

I am a noob with these laptops
.I have just received my 17" 4930mx 32 GB ram with 4 x256mb sata drives in raid 0 and a gforce780m
Is it only the 43X multiplier I need to bump or are there other voltages I have to muck with to get a stable overclock of 4.3GHZ
I run a water chilled normal pc at %ghz stable so 4.3 would be GR8 on my laptop