test

overclocking help and advice needed for my new m18x

Sleepy

hello all im new here... i have owned a m17x for 6 months or so and now i have my new m18x arriving in a few days specs:

i73940xm
16gb 1600mhz ram
dual GTX680 sli
wireless killer card
500gb hard drive

I would first like some info on how to overclock the cpu and if it would be needed for my gaming needs ( i would like to get the best possible out of my m18x )

I mostly play bf3 on it right now but will be playing other stuff to.

I would like a step by step of what (if any ) programs would be needed , and some info as to whether i should do this for the specs i have or not ? ( i have no experience of any overclocking yet so please be kind ) if possible ?

next should i overclock the gtx680 sli ( i think i have read that this is done some times) , but im not sure if can be done and if so how ? ,,, and will it benefit my set up ? (again a basic step by step would be very much appreciated )

Last of all can some one recommend some good surround sound head sets for gaming that is going to work well with my new m18x .

Thx for any help anyone can offer

Maelstrom

What FPS do you get while playing BF3? With the setup you have now I would expect that you shouldn't need to OC at all for gaming.

Sleepy

on my m17x i can get at its lowest 50 fps on mostly medium settings some ultra ( iv been using V-sync to remove screen tearing ) so the highest i get is just 60 ish fps ,,,im hoping to get a steady 60fps on ultra with my m18x ? ... but i still have a few days before it arrives yet :( do you think i will get this ?

MattyB

Yeah there would really be no point in overclocking as you pretty much have the best of everything in that beast. If you really want to overclock it anyway, I would PM Mr Fox if I were you as he seems to be the M18x overclocking champion of the world!

Sleepy

Thx for the info guys , that good to know ... But can any of you advice me on a good headset for gaming with my m18x as I see not all headset are compatable and I want to get a good surround sound set as I need to hear the enemy coming from behind .

Mr. Fox

Hey Sleepy! Congrats on the new M18x R2 beast that's headed your way. Most of the guys are right about not needing to overclock for gaming, but overclocking is a ton of fun for benching.

Here is what I suggest you plan on using if you want to get into overclocking:

• Unlocked BIOS from svl7 at Tech|Inferno
  • Intel Extreme Tuning Utility v3.1.201.5 (use only this version)
  • ThrottleStop (get it from Tech|Inferno as well)
  • HWiNFO64 (for monitoring temps and manual fan control)

There is some trial and error involved to find the sweet spot for your overclock, but running 4.3GHz or 4.4GHz as a normal everyday overclock is realistic with manageable temps as long as you are not using the system in a warm or hot environment.

Below are a few of my videos that show how to use ThrottleStop and unlocked BIOS navigation. (Use ThrottleStop for granular CPU control for different use scenarios. You can have up to four profiles, and it works very sweet.)

(Until someone adds a post after mine to get rid of the advertisement, the videos are going to be cropped on the right side.)

You may find other interesting videos on my YouTube channel. Here is a link: The Mr. Fox Channel

M18x R1 Unlocked BIOS
[video=youtube_share;5UKIGn_V2Cg]http://youtu.be/5UKIGn_V2Cg[/video]

M18x R2 Unlocked BIOS
[video=youtube_share;TBPm-f5vcpU]http://youtu.be/TBPm-f5vcpU[/video]

Using ThrottleStop Profiles
[video=youtube_share;xb2HPbk_O1I]http://youtu.be/xb2HPbk_O1I[/video]

MattyB

Let's see if my post got rid of the ad for you.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Nice.

Mr. Fox

Thanks! :)

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

And, thanks for the compliment, too. I am not even close to being the world champion, but it is a lot of fun. I had a good teacher (johnksss) on the basics of CPU overclocking.

MattyB

I want an extreme processor pretty badly. Can't quite overcome the cost though at this stage

Sleepy

Awesome thx fox and others , I will get on to having a go when it arrives ,, one last question on it is , does the over locking remove the turbo boost ? Or can I overlock the turbo boost so it boosts up to a higher ghz when needed ,, or do I have to overlock it and set it permanently to a higher ghz ?

Thx

Mr. Fox

Turboboost will still be functional unless you disable it. Once you have dialed in your maximum overclock, turboboost may become somewhat irrelevant. If you leave c-states enabled, the CPU will slow down when not under load and turboboost to your maximum overclock settings under load. However, you will not be able to turboboost beyond the highest core multiplier values you have established in BIOS settings, and you will not exceed the capacity of your CPU.

Sleepy

One more question on this ,if ok mr fox ? , as my CPU is a " xm " does this mean that I can do some simple over clocking with the bio I already have ? I'm not sure if I'm getting confused with other stuff I have read , but does my current bio have some pre set dell safe overclocking options ? If so can you give me some pointers on how to find them and use them .

I see that the i73940xm can be sent out be dell already overclocked to 4.2ghz is that the highest "dell safe" oc that can be done if so , do you know what figuers to input and where , and if it can go higher how much higher please.

And as I have now over clocked my gpu ( woohoo ) am I likly to gain more fps in games from over clocking my CPU next ?

I was also wondering how over clocking any part of my machin affects the warrant , does it void it ?

Thx for all your help so far

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

One more question on this ,if ok mr fox ? , as my CPU is a " xm " does this mean that I can do some simple over clocking with the bio I already have ? I'm not sure if I'm getting confused with other stuff I have read , but does my current bio have some pre set dell safe overclocking options ? If so can you give me some pointers on how to find them and use them .

I see that the i73940xm can be sent out be dell already overclocked to 4.2ghz is that the highest "dell safe" oc that can be done if so , do you know what figuers to input and where , and if it can go higher how much higher please.

And as I have now over clocked my gpu ( woohoo ) am I likly to gain more fps in games from over clocking my CPU next ?

I was also wondering how over clocking any part of my machin affects the warrant , does it void it ?

Thx for all your help so far
You're welcome. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes, you can do so moderate overclocking without a modified BIOS. You can set a Dell Level 3 overclock for starters. Once you set that, you can change all the multipliers to the same speed, say 40x or 42x on all 4 cores if you want to. You can also lower the Flex VID (voltage) because 25 (Dell default) is way more than needed. Lowering the Flex VID will help the CPU run cooler. As long as you do not get a BSOD or instability, you can lower it to zero. If you have issues with stability or BSOD you can raise it to 5 or 10, as necessary.

If you look at the videos I posted, the screen with the multipliers, Flex VID and turboboost overclocking menus are shown. You will not find as many menus with the normal BIOS, but that one, specifically, is available.

As to whether or not you will see more FPS, that varies by game. If the game takes advantage or a more powerful CPU, you definitely will. If the game is totally GPU-bound, not much. Crysis 3, for example, will take advantage of a more powerful CPU.

You can do almost anything you want to your Alienware without voiding the warranty. User-induced damage is not covered by the warranty. The act of overclocking, in and of itself, does not void the warranty.

I hope this is helpful info.

Sleepy

Ok so this is what iv done and got so far

I have set the core's 1 2 3 and 4 to 44,43,42,42 and the "ratio thingy " to 20 and i got these scores below:

oc stats ...jpg

my first question is , does this mean i now have a 4.2ghz cpu ?

and if im correct , 4.2ghz is now my base ghz (old one being 3.0ghz ) so does this mean that the "turbo boost " that the cpu can do will go beyond that but only for a brief moment if needed (which would like be never lol ) ?

( i do understand that the cpu will first use the 1st core upto 44 then start using the 2nd core as well upto 43 and then start using both the last 2 core's due to them being the same value ) but im talking about the "trubo boost " beyond that .

and my second question is why does my "computer " > "properties " show my cpu as still 3.0ghz with an even lower finger next to it of 2.0ghz ( i have noticed this changes with the "ratio" adjustments in the bois ?

Thanks
Luke

sorry if picture are to small to see im trying to make them better and bigger :S

Attachments

• OC STATS.jpg
    OC STATS.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Sleepy

I have been checking the cpu temp when playing bf3 and i see that core 3 is getting what looks like to hot max of 90c ?

what is the best fix for this ?

just adjusting the clocks down ie lower than 44,43,42,42 ?

or is their a way to increase than fan speed ?

or as only 1 of the cores is getting to hot is their a way of spreading the load out better than it is ? maybe 44,43,43,43 or 43,42,42,42 or something like this ?

also i have tried turning down the flex power setting ( i forget what the correct name for this is sorry ) it is normally set at 25 so i tried moving that to 10 but this made all core go way to hot ie all over 85c ?

ok so i have just found out that the picture aboue is not showing what my max cpu is now set to ,, and only showing what 1 of my cores is runnning at ,at the time i toke the screen shot :( so i would be great full if some one could show me the easiest way of finding out what my new overclocked cpu speed is ?

thanks

Update ....
I have had to undo the overclock as I seem in able to keep temp down well enough :-( .

Will increasing the " flex VID overdrive " help to bring temp down ? It is currently 25 , I notice when I decrease it to 10 in increases temp's , and I have seen screen shots of mr fox with this increased to 50 ?

This is frustrating as I know this chip ( i73940xm )is sold by dell with a safe over clock option of 4.2hgz ( which is all I'm trying to do ) so their must be some simple and safe running setting to change my 3.9ghz CPU to the 4.2ghz chip ?

Any clues ? Anyone

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

I am not able to read any of the photos due to their small size, so I will try to answer your questions without referring to what you are showing in them.

Increasing Flex VID (voltage) will increase temps. You want that to be as low as possible. If your system becomes unstable after lowering it, you have gone too far and need to bump it up a little bit. Try 10 or 15 and see how that works. This amount of flex should be fine for only 4.2-4.3GHz. Where you have seen me set this at 50 or higher, I am also increasing pri plane (watts) and that requires an unlocked BIOS. You also have a limitation with the MSR lock that can only be disabled with an unlocked BIOS. The MSR lock being enabled by default will be an impediment to overclocking. What will typically happen is the CPU core speeds will throttle (decrease) under load due to lack of power. This will happen regardless of temps. If the stock wattage is too low to support the overclock, the system may reach the overclock speeds, then drop to a lower speed as CPU load increases. If you leave the MSR lock enabled with an unlocked BIOS, your settings for pri plane will be ignored and you will still experience load-based throttling due to lack of power. Disabling MSR lock allows you to take control of the watts available to the CPU through increasing pri plane settings.

What you don't see from the screen shots is that my wicked benchmark runs with sky-high overclocks 4.7GHz+, 50+ flex and 1350 to 1375 on pri plane is using air conditioning to keep things cool. (Or, benching on the patio in freezing cold winter weather, LOL.) You should be able to run 4.2GHz without heating issues with low flex and a locked-down BIOS without complication unless you are in a warm environment. If you're working in ambient temps above 70°F, 4.2GHz is going to get warm. If you are seeing 90-95°C as a peak temp on random cores and that is not sustained on all cores under load, this is not a big issue. It's OK and normal to see random peaks that fluctuate among all of the cores. If they go that high and stay that high across all cores under sustained load, you will need to take steps to lower the temps to achieve the best performance.

The T-junction max (thermal shutdown trigger) for the Ivy Bridge CPU is 105°C. If your overclock speeds are staying under this threshold in a hotter than ideal work environment, you're OK in terms of having issues that demand to be rectified to avoid problems.

By overclocking your CPU you still have Turboboost if c-states is enabled. (If you have a stock/locked BIOS, then c-states is enabled because you cannot access the menu to disable it.) If your system idles to a lower speed, say 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5GHz and increases to 4.2GHz (or your max multiplier setting) under load, this is Turboboost in action. If you disable c-states (which I do) and your CPU runs full speed 24/7 Turboboost is effectively cancelled out because the CPU never drops to a low performance state. Turboboost becomes totally irrevelant and offers nothing of value with respect to performance in this scenario.

You can use ThrottleStop to control your multipliers without having to change them in the BIOS. You can set up profiles in ThrottleStop that allow you to have a variety of clock settings to use as you see fit. ThrottleStop includes a benchmark tool that lets you test the settings and observe the temps. ThrottleStop's 32M benchmark is very useful for checking stability and temps. For example, if you set your Flex VID at 10 and multipliers at 43x4 and the system hangs, ThrottleStop crashes, or your get a BSOD when running the benchmark, you know right away that 10 is too low for 43x4. You can drop to 42x4 and see if that works, or bump the Flex VID up to 12 or 15, then test again.

You can use HWiNFO64 to manually run the fans full blast or create profiles that control fan speeds based on temperatures, and this can be very helpful with overclocking. Running the fans faster at a lower temperatures helps prevent the CPU from getting as hot under heavy load.

When you set your multipliers at descending values (i.e. 43, 43, 42, 41, etc.) that means the CPU slows down as more cores are employed. Using the above example, your max core speed would be 4.3GHz with one or two cores in use, 4.2GHz when a third core is called upon and 4.1GHz when all four cores are being used. So, in that specific scenario, your Turboboost limit would be 4.3GHz. If you set them all equal (which I do using ThrottleStop) the CPU would run at the same maximum core speed regardless of how many cores are being taxed. Running all 4 cores at a maximum overclock multiplier value applies only to an XM CPU. With a QM CPU, maximum core speeds and SpeedStepping (individual core values) have a fused maximum value. Any values you set higher than the fused value with ThrottleStop will be ignored with a QM CPU. The core speed will no longer increase as soon as the maximum multiplier limit is reached.

I hope this helps. If you have other questions, feel free to post and send me a PM to alert me to your questions being posted.

Last edited:

Sleepy

ok ,thx again for your very in-depth knowledge of overclocking i would be lost with out it .

im going to change my 44,43,42,42 and flex of 30 ....to 42,42,42,42 and a flex of 15 and i will see how this go's ,am i correct in thinking this is going to give me a Constant 4.2hgz ?

and will this idle at a lower ghz like 1.5 or 2ghz when the power is not needed ie checking facebook lol ,,, or will this be pumping out 4.2ghz from the moment i turn my beast on ?

Thx

Mr. Fox

Sure, glad to help. The CPU should idle down to a lower clock because c-states will still be enabled. It would only be pumping 4.2GHz 24/7 with c-states disabled. Remember, if 15 Flex VID is not enough you can increase it. Most likely 15 will work fine at 4.2GHz.

Sleepy

please can you give me some help setting up the basics of HWiNFO64 ? (i have used the zip beta like you suggested )

(all i want to do is set the fan to automatically come on when pc is started and to automatically increase as needed , but increase more and faster than they currently are doing so my pc will run cooler than it is )

i have read lots of info about this program on forums but none of them seem to give the final pieces of info i need lol

so please can you tell me what to do after :

click the program, window comes up asking to "run " and their are to tick box's at this point "sensor only and " summer only " i have been leaving these un ticked ( please say if this is incorrect ) ?

next i click the yellow button called " sensors " then "continue " at this point a new window opens .

next i click the picture of a fan that is at the bottom.

at this point im lost ??? i can see 3 options "set manual " , "system auto " and " custom auto "

I think i need "custom auto " but when i click it im given many options and i have no clue what options i need to get what im trying to get ?

i see a drop down menu for "sensor 1" and for "sensor 2" and in their are 10 options ??? please can you tell me what to do at this point and if im heading in the right direction ?

thx as always for your help :)