Please help

Hello I have a M15x with a terrible problem. I have resorted to returning the system to the factory image and a there is currently nothing loaded on the computer except auto desk 123d design which I am trying to use to make a 3d model. The problem is that the program keeps freezing up and giving me the not responding message in the window. After between 20 - 45 min it will un freeze and let me work for about 10 minutes before doing it again. When it is unfrozen the fan is constantly revving up and down. Then it ramps up to full speed and this is when it stops responding. Also if I try to save at any point it will save but it takes 15 minutes to do it. The problem is rapidly getting worse (longer wait times, shorter working times). I have taken the comp in to the repair shop and nothing was found which led me to restoring the factory image.the only thing I can notice is in task manger in processes, when it is not responding the memory usage for the program keeps climbing and climbing.and seems to be using a ridiculous amount of memory. The second highest process in the list is around 26k but my frozen program climbs to between 865k and 1,250k. Normally it hovers around 500 or so which I think is still extremely high.I don't think is the program, because the internet does the same thing (shorter but more frequent waits.) I'm wondering if maybe it is failing hardware, but I know very little about computers, so any help would be appreciated. It makes it very hard to get anything done right now. Thanks,
Travis

M15x
I7 720
4 gb ram 1333
Nvidia m260 1gb
256 gb hard drive

Last edited:

Alienwulf

Jan 20, 2014
San Diego Ca.
It sounds like you have faulty memory..although looking at your spec's if your running a 3D program 4 gigs of 1333 is sooo not enough first I would get another 4 or better yet 2x8 most people run 12 16 or 32 on high use programs. I would try that before going the bad hardware route. Let us know how this turns out.

Alienwulf

Jan 20, 2014
San Diego Ca.
To see how much your using go to your task bar right click for task manager go to performance..and resource manager..It will show how much your using I ll bet all. To check if memory is bad there are free programs but the require a boot disk. Lets see how much you use will program is running.

Thank you for taking the time to help.
I've put together a few numbers for memory usage.
when I first start windows 7 it idles at 25%
Upon loading 123d design with no project open, just a blank screen it jumps to 35% if I let it sit and do nothing, the memory slowly climbs as time passes. it peaked at 45% the came back down and held steady for 5 -10 min at 41% again this was with just a blank project. once I load one of my models it climbed to 62%. if I double click on an entity to select it, it rises to 67% until the entity is selected, then it falls back to 62-63%. after I exit the program and return to windows, it idled at 45%, not sure why I would have thought it would go back down to 25% like before I opened the program.
it seems to me like it has memory to spare, i'm not sure why its struggling so much.

Here are some more numbers they aren't hard and fast numbers every time its a little different, and they change so fast that the columns probably don't add up I wrote them down as fast as I could.

ill list them in this order: %usage/hardware reserved/in use/modified/stand by/free.

windows idle 30/12/1251/32/453/2337
open 123 design 35/12/1438/33/456/2157
model opened 47/12/1921/45/600/1400
entity selecting 53/12/2270/61/855/919
program not responding 51/12/2088/69/1225/703

Hope that makes some sense. The entity selecting values are peak from when the mouse is clicked until the entity is actually selected which can be a few seconds to a minute or more.

Thanks for the help