test

Plug in power supply upgrade?

Carson2006

This may be a dumb question, but I haven't noticed it talked about before so I wanted to bring it up.

The last time I took my case apart I paid special attention to how the power supply is connected to the motherboard. That's when I noticed that the receptical the power brick connects to, on the back of the case, is connected to the motherboard with a 6 pin connector.

100_0281.jpg

100_0283.jpg

Can one just plug a modular power supply (~600w) into this socket without any major issues? I'm a little paranoid of frying the mobo by pushing it beyond limits.

Carson2006

Since I haven't gotten a response, I'm going to assume that this motherboard is like most, and will not have an issue.

Alienwulf

should be fine as it is an aux for extra power to the PCIe on the board. All six pins would have the same voltage as all PSU's are standard. Only exception I know of is the 10 pin for the Area 51's..good luck.

Carson2006

UPDATE: The 6 pin connector does not run to the motherboard, but to a separate board I am assuming is the "power board" as I've heard described in other PC builds.

should be fine as it is an aux for extra power to the PCIe on the board. All six pins would have the same voltage as all PSU's are standard. Only exception I know of is the 10 pin for the Area 51's..good luck.

I figured as much, but I'm still a little confused.

You say that it is an auxiliary power connection, yet it is the only connection inside the case. There is a completely separate 6 pin wire with 2 ends that runs to the GPU from the board the power supply goes into. There also seems to be a very short 24 pin connector that runs from one board, right to the motherboard.

Wall > 330 Watt Brick > input in back of case > Wire to six pin connector in picture > power board > motherboard.

The 6 pin connector is the only way I see the power brick connected to the rest of the computer.

I'm about 95% sure of this, but I was already planning on cracking the case open again tomorrow. I'll take some better pictures, and offer a few more details about what I'm thinking about doing.

This is just for critiquing purposes, and I thank you guys for taking the time to look this over.

MattyB

The 6 pin connector is the only way I see the power brick connected to the rest of the computer.

That's right. There is a jack cable (part# 2YG07) which the PSU plugs into and the other end is a 6 pin connector which plugs straight into the board. I had to purchase one recently for an X51 I was fixing up. That's all there is. It's basically just an adapter cable as far as I can see.

$(KGrHqNHJEIFE3)EgK(qBRi-3)i(bw~~60_57.JPG

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I must also point out that I have never done what you're planning so I don't know how it's going to work. In theory it sounds fine but who knows??? I don't know a lot about power. I don't know if the power coming in straight off a PSU will be modulated properly before hitting your motherboard..........
It's all in your hands!

Carson2006

I don't know if the power coming in straight off a PSU will be modulated properly before hitting your motherboard..........
It's all in your hands!

Haha thanks for the reminder. :p

I've done some seriously light searching (Need to do much more), but this is what I'm seeing so far.

The wattage that a PSU is labeled with is the max output at the rated efficiency. The PSU is plenty happy providing less power, and will only send the power that is being demanded by the computer. Some higher end PSU's can even supply more than they are rated at, but will drop a level or two in their efficiency rating.

If that is accurate, then yeah this works... in theory like you said. :p

I've noticed that the higher end external power supplies tend to come with many different types of power cables, so this is my idea as of now:

- Pick up a 600 - 700 watt external PSU (preferably fan-less) that comes with many cables.
- Plug said power supply into each of the following places individually.
+ 24 pin to motherboard
+ 6 pin to "power board" (I'm dubbing it this till someone smarter than me tells me what it is.)
+ Molex to a y cable that powers DVD drive, HDD, and SSD
+ one 6 pin (possibly 2 if/when I upgrade graphics card) directly to GPU. ( currently running a 660 )

This is all on paper at this point, and I'm in no hurry to do this. Any advice, tips, experience would be appreciated, but I'm going to do some more digging into this.

I really want to know why Dell has the input going to a 6 pin end, through a board, then out a 24 pin right into a 24 pin on the motherboard. I'm hesitant because I doubt they would do this for no reason. I am inclined to believe it might be a heat issue.

x51noob

Haha thanks for the reminder. :p

I've done some seriously light searching (Need to do much more), but this is what I'm seeing so far.

The wattage that a PSU is labeled with is the max output at the rated efficiency. The PSU is plenty happy providing less power, and will only send the power that is being demanded by the computer. Some higher end PSU's can even supply more than they are rated at, but will drop a level or two in their efficiency rating.

If that is accurate, then yeah this works... in theory like you said. :p

I've noticed that the higher end external power supplies tend to come with many different types of power cables, so this is my idea as of now:

- Pick up a 600 - 700 watt external PSU (preferably fan-less) that comes with many cables.
- Plug said power supply into each of the following places individually.
+ 24 pin to motherboard
+ 6 pin to "power board" (I'm dubbing it this till someone smarter than me tells me what it is.)
+ Molex to a y cable that powers DVD drive, HDD, and SSD
+ one 6 pin (possibly 2 if/when I upgrade graphics card) directly to GPU. ( currently running a 660 )

This is all on paper at this point, and I'm in no hurry to do this. Any advice, tips, experience would be appreciated, but I'm going to do some more digging into this.

I really want to know why Dell has the input going to a 6 pin end, through a board, then out a 24 pin right into a 24 pin on the motherboard. I'm hesitant because I doubt they would do this for no reason. I am inclined to believe it might be a heat issue.

I see people adding psu to run the gpu alone. I'm wondering why they would do this if it was as easy as replacing the original. Keep us posted if you try this

DJaymo

no doubt. if we could just replace the power supply on our 51s, this would open so many doors for better cards in our machines.

-Aj-

The psu is a 19.5V, 16.9A supply.
It is a standard voltage that many high power laptops use (only not at 16amps lol)

The important part is the voltage, though between 19-20v would be fine as its well within tolerances.
How much power you can shove into it will depend on what the motherboard is limited to, as it is a proprietary board (so i have heard) it is designed specifically with this power supply in mind and as such may not be designed to handle say 500w or more like standard boards.
Being 19.5v in also means something must be using 19v, and i didnt think a standard atx psu output more than 12v (could be wrong)

Also being 19v input means the board must have regulation down to 12v and 5v rails to run the drives, this regulator would be the limiting factor in power usage when running those 18 hdds :rolleyes:

Seeing as the biggest power hog is the gfx card, if there was a way to have a separate supply dedicated to powering the card directly that would most likely cover your woes. (though i dont know why youd want to upgrade, my 660gtx wrecks crysis3 on full at 1920x1080)

...Maybe ill pull mine apart and have a decent squiz, i have been looking for an excuse after all..

I see You

The psu is a 19.5V, 16.9A supply.
It is a standard voltage that many high power laptops use (only not at 16amps lol)

The important part is the voltage, though between 19-20v would be fine as its well within tolerances.
How much power you can shove into it will depend on what the motherboard is limited to, as it is a proprietary board (so i have heard) it is designed specifically with this power supply in mind and as such may not be designed to handle say 500w or more like standard boards.
Being 19.5v in also means something must be using 19v, and i didnt think a standard atx psu output more than 12v (could be wrong)

Also being 19v input means the board must have regulation down to 12v and 5v rails to run the drives, this regulator would be the limiting factor in power usage when running those 18 hdds :rolleyes:

Seeing as the biggest power hog is the gfx card, if there was a way to have a separate supply dedicated to powering the card directly that would most likely cover your woes. (though i dont know why youd want to upgrade, my 660gtx wrecks crysis3 on full at 1920x1080)

...Maybe ill pull mine apart and have a decent squiz, i have been looking for an excuse after all..

OK i will chime in here i know its a older post but here is the scoop on this the board is only proprietary as far as a sensor cable going from the board to the power distribution board, and only having one pci xpress slot that is it other wise it is a standard mini ITX board with a Mini ATX layout, i have moved mine to another case well i did not do it but i had a tech do it, you can mate the board with any power supply it will except all, just dont use the power board as that is rated only at what psu you have 330 watt or the 240 watt. here is one thing if you do this you will have a power sensor failure let me explain this if you look at your x51 and the power board you will see a small wire 2 prong if i remember going from the power board to the main board on a connector marked power sensor. i'm afraid i have not found a way around the error. only thing you can do is hit F1 or tell bios to ignore errors. Also my video cad runs way better and the over all system is more stable. sure i made a Frankenstein lol but it works so much better.