Plugged In, Not Charging.......Frustrating

LOUDWORLD

I have a M17x R3 from 2012 It was a little buggy right out of the box. Over the years it had HDMI audio issues, had a monitor issue, cooked its first HDD, but I diligently worked through the issues as they arose and eventually got a steady reliable workhorse.

Typically I leave it plugged in all the time, but once I moved its location and when I booted it, the date had reverted to the first time it ran. I didn't think much of it, I reset the time, and carried on. I then noticed the battery icon said "Plugged in, Not charging". This phrase would become my nemesis!

I ran Alien Autopsy, tests say battery is 100%. I ran F12 tests, results battery is 100%. I used a third party battery analysis tool, results battery is 100%. Still works fine when plugged in. Did the remove battery-hold power button trick a dozen times. Tried all settings on Power Plans and Desktop Battery Mode. Finally one day it said; "No Battery Detected".

Ordered new battery (2 actually) and waited a month. While waiting I did further extensive research on many forums and websites, online Dell tools etc. Tried to update my BIOS but the flash utility wouldn't run without a battery installed.

Eventually my new bats came, I did the swap out with a power hold just to be safe and booted with little hope or expectations, but lo and behold, the battery icon was animating and charging. Battery life was about 120 minutes and there was much fist pumping and celebrating.

Then, cus I am an idiot apparently, although everything was working like the good old days, I decided to update the OEM A03 BIOS with the A14 version. The flash utility worked now that it had both an AC adaptor and a functioning battery. When it booted the first time under the A14 BIOS there was my old friend, in the lower right corner; "Plugged in, Not charging" WTF!?

I tried installing the second battery I bought to no effect. I have done all the things to my new battery that I did to my old battery. I am at my wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I flash my BIOS back to A03?

Should my trusty M17 that has crossed North America 3 times on the back of a motorcycle; from Prudhoe Bay to Key West become a door stop?

Your help is appreciated!
Lou

MattyB

I have an M18x R2 which does the same thing. Well sometimes it decides to charge but most of the time it won't. I have learned to live with it since I never use it without the power supply anyway. I'm not sure if you can flash your BIOS back that far. Possibly, but I have never tried. Usually the power drain technique will fix the problem but it doesn't sound like this is working for you. It can also be an issue with the actual power supply and not the battery. If you can get your hands on another one from someone, give it a go.
You may just have to dedicate it to being plugged in until it's final day.

LOUDWORLD

I have an M18x R2 which does the same thing. Well sometimes it decides to charge but most of the time it won't. I have learned to live with it since I never use it without the power supply anyway. I'm not sure if you can flash your BIOS back that far. Possibly, but I have never tried. Usually the power drain technique will fix the problem but it doesn't sound like this is working for you. It can also be an issue with the actual power supply and not the battery. If you can get your hands on another one from someone, give it a go.
You may just have to dedicate it to being plugged in until it's final day.

I do have a second OEM power supply, it came with the original order but it is a different type and it doesn't correct the problem.

But......now after 4 days stuck at 29% and "Plugged in, Not charging" it suddenly charged to 100%. When it was stuck at 29% unplugging the AC adaptor caused immediate shutdown so that is a lie too. I have been trying to see if I can uninstall the Desktop Battery mode utility, not just disable, uninstall, but no luck yet. I will keep working on it! The best thing for computer issues is persistence!

4kocour4

Hey. I have something like this with my R3 (Old good one from 2011) and it has been and Motherboard issue.
I tried different AC adapter and Battery, non of which worked. It went so far that my CPU became fried because of it.
Now, with new MOBO - All problems gone...well..Almost xD Atleast I can say no battery problems.
Or you could try to replace just AC plug on MOBO side, but I don´t think that it will work and you will probably destroy whole MOBO while unsoldering.