Portable desktops

Alligator

Now there are many small and slim desktops having portability and mobility of a laptop, which is great. Does Alienware produce this type of desktops, or plan to do so?

ThatOldGuy

The X51 is smallish and weighs about 12lbs(5.49kg) which is small relative to most gaming PCs. But as of yet, there is no Mac Mini equivalent.

Gogreen

Yes, X51 is pretty small for a desktop, but it is not designed to be a portable desktop. I love the idea of it though, and I wish Alienware produced this type of desktop.

Eirreann

Yes, X51 is pretty small for a desktop, but it is not designed to be a portable desktop. I love the idea of it though, and I wish Alienware produced this type of desktop.
Hmm... on the contrary I was under the impression that THAT was exactly what it was designed for; something small and easily taken to LAN parties... I mean, it's the size of an Xbox 360 and can fit in most backpacks! Minus the weight I'd say it's pretty portable for a desktop!

EMT911inWI

I believe the X51 was more or less designed for HTPC applications. Hence its smaller footprint. I don't belive it was really designed for easy transport, although I can see it being used in that application regardless if that's what its intended design was for or not. I believe you are going to see just about every PC going forward in this footprint, the only thing that concerns me is heat.

VagrantXeth

Although I would have no need to tote it around, I would say that the X51 is very portable. It really is not that big when compared to the consoles and with external power supply, not as heavy (think of it like the 360 in terms of weight). Having HDMI ports also ensures that connectivity to an existing HDTV will not be an issue. Finding a place to store and carry all the peripherals (i.e. mouse, keyboard, powerbrick is another issue altogether). However, since it is HDMI compatible, the existing speakers on the TV means that you do not have to lug seperate speakers, although you will be limited in audio quality to the television that it is hooked up to. Bottom line, it can be done and should not be relegated to an HTPC for those who want their gaming on the go. I understand that a laptop would be easier to tote around, but for the price, its worth the bang for the buck.

Eirreann

Want a portable desktop? Check out the Raspberry Pi! Its the size of a credit card.

http://www.alliedelec.com/raspberrypi/?gclid=CLD1m8rb0K4CFQo0hwodiHbh-Q
In the description on the site:
"can be used for many of the things that a desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games."
"like spreadsheets, word-processing and games."
"word-processing and games."
"games."
Really, now? The video card on that thing is practically non-existent! You'd be lucky to be able to run a YouTube video on that thing!

Checkmate

In the description on the site:
"can be used for many of the things that a desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games."
"like spreadsheets, word-processing and games."
"word-processing and games."
"games."
Really, now? The video card on that thing is practically non-existent! You'd be lucky to be able to run a YouTube video on that thing!
Well, according to the site, it plays high-definition video supporting 1080p. It has an HDMI output.

I think it may be able to run YouTube videos that are lower res. :)

Eirreann

Well, according to the site, it plays high-definition video supporting 1080p. It has an HDMI output.

I think it may be able to run YouTube videos that are lower res. :)
We'll just have to see... it looks like a scam to me.